Do you think a grown married man really needs a ‘man cave’ in his home?

So, yeah, basically a man cave retreat with gaming console/equipment and a fridge for beer etc. Do you really think that grown married men need one of those in their home?

To be honest the idea infuriates me. The last thing I want when I move in with someone is for them to have some immature childish man cave in the house. Honestly find it quite bothersome considering living together should be about adulting and possible raising kids... not doing what you did as a teen.
  • I’d let my husband have a man cave
    Vote A
  • I feel the same as you
    Vote B
  • Men who want man caves are immature
    Vote C
  • There’s nothing wrong with a guy wanting a man cave in his home
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I guess my biggest issue is potentially marrying a man who might spend all of his spare time in there. That’s the part that would infuriate me most. Sitting on an xbox while I Cook and clean etc after a long day’s work is hardly fair.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, when the woman has gone through the entire house gaying it up we need a place where testosterone still exists.

2|6
    0|1
    • Or a place, where our balls can have a rest :) Since our testicles are the producers of the T-hormones.

• Show All
    • Lol, you're welcome 😊

• Hands down best answer goes to you 😂😂

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• You should discuss the division of responsibilities and negotiate who will tend what chores before you get married. If a guy takes care of his responsibilities and spends sufficient time with his wife and kids, having SOME time to himself is reasonable and should even be encouraged. If he spends all of his free time in his hideaway and doesn't take care of his responsibilities, he simply is not ready for marriage.

2|3
    0|0
  • Quit being a selfish bitch.

Everyone needs a place to be alone in His own House.
    Women got any room for themselfes im the House nowadays.

That's why I will Not marry a Woman and only enter e serious relationship and move in, when im Sure im having Kids with her.

0|5
    0|0
  • Toxic female detected. This is why half of marriages fail.

Should he prohibit you from make ups, nice dresses and flowers in the home? It's immature and for little teenage girls. /s

That's how YOU sound right now. You take away his "saferoom" and his hobbies.
    No decent man would sign up for that.

1|4
    1|0
    • Toxic female detected? Oh come on now, get real. Saferoom? There’s a thing line between that and a permanent escape room.

• You know, that females sometimes get to have the whole freaking house and we are left with the garage? Which makes garage the only sanctuary for men with video games and stuff to be with pals because his (narcissistic) wife doesn't like any visitors, that are his pals or him unwinding on video games.

• I think that would be a requirement when we'll get a home together. I want to game in peace and it would only be fair that my guy would be able to game in peace as well. I don't find it to be childish at all, because living together getting some me time might be really difficult. Having a separate room for it would be great.

0|2
    0|0
  • I actually don't see the problem with it. Everyone needs a little room or privacy that they can call their own- even if they're married. Hell, the female equivalent of a man cave is a "she shed" (yes, really- look it up, they exist)

Personally if I lived with someone, I'd want a room to myself as well: for gaming, drawing, watching tv alone, or just having some me time. As much as being in a relationship with someone is nice, everyone needs time to themselves as well.

0|2
    0|0
    • I though that the female equivalent was the rest of the damn house.

• @DDpsy LOL! That too. The she shed is for when she needs a break from the house and/or the people in it I guess

• Yes, men need it.
    Any good man keeps a childishness to him. It's not dangerous that he has a childishness. What's dangerous is, if he can't be serious or has none.

So why do men need it?
    1. It's a project to create. Doesn't matter if its for Pool, Xbox or whatever. Usually the women takes time to create how the living place looks like, takes up most of the space (closet, bathroom, etc.), so this is HIS place.
    2. Men do sometimes need a break. We don't just brawl our eyes out, when stressed. Or scream. Or want a hug. Sometimes we just want to be left alone. Something that a lot of women simply cannot properly comprehend. And often times also not respect.
    3. Men need time to be only among other men. No matter how developed our societies and technology are, we are still cave-people at heart. Not much changed in a few hundreds of years in that regard. So doesn't matter if its a simple evening with friends in the basement, going camping with them, etc. Men absolutely NEED men-time. Boys need it even more - which is why a lot of boys nowadays are giant pussies.
    4. Remaining some child-like self is important for excitement, curiousity and creativity. You might say men don't need to be creative in a lot of things. Yes, we do. Painting and singing aren't the only ways to be creative. Back again to the past. When hunting in a group onto a bigger animal, you needed to be creative in how you strategically approach this. A good and healthy men is childish and creative - but he has a healthy balance between being childish and mature.
    5. Women can be overbearing. Nothing wrong with loving and being somewhat clingy - but a lot of women want to fuse with their men and almost do everything together. While men want to do a lot with their women, they also want to do their own thing here and there.
    6. No matter how good a fit two partners are - they will rarely every align with their interests. Most men like sports while most women don't really. Yet, most men will not be interested in Greys Anatomy or whatever. So a man-cave gives the option to follow each others interests without being in the way. And that is just the example of TV shows. There are other options.

All of these obviously doesn't mean one person works 24/7 while the other one is lazy and vice versa. It's a giving and taking. Yes, sometimes the woman will take the household chores, because the man gets friends over. And other times the man takes up the household so she can meet with her friends.

If one partner feels, he/she is doing more than his/her partner and find it is unfair - then that is a core-problem in the relationship itself and not about having a man-cave or not. Either, because its actually true. Or because of a selective perception.

0|1
    0|0
    • And last but not least: It is pretty controlling to decide what a man wants/needs or not. For once are you not a man. You simply can't emphatise, relate or fully understand men. You can try to understand - but men are fundamentally different. It's the same as when your guy would say "why do you do X[=insert typical female interest]? It's utterly pointless and childish". Maybe it is. Maybe not. But it often times fulfills gender-typical needs - as long as it is in reasonable amounts and doesn't turn into an extreme.

And if a man wants ONE (!) room in the house that most likely has 10 of them for himself - there is absolutely zero wrong with that. Especially, because again - most rooms will be mostly designed, created and occupied by the woman. If you got friends who live together - just take a look around and see how much space each of the two take up with their stuff and who designed the place. 99% it will be the woman.

• Men do need a man cave. The thing all girls need to understand is that a man cave is where men go to cope with any struggles they may have. If you two just had an argument, he needs some time to be alone and clear his head. If he is tired or stressed, he needs some time to be alone and clear his head. It's just the way our mind works. Girls prefer talking or giving the silent treatment while guys prefer some time alone.

0|1
    0|0
  • I won't say we need a man cave, but we need time and space to be left alone and in private. We need to just think. Just think. A big part of that is that, to us, life is constantly work - a war, in fact. We need to think about what we are going to do today and plan for the future, etc. This means not having any more inputs by interactions with women and kids or even other men. This is because, many communications that women give to men are really just orders - she asks for something and, to him, he interprets that as an order and must take action and that just interrupts everything else.

Put in simple terms:

1. Interacting with other humans puts things in a male's "Inbox" to deal with.

2. By being alone, a male can sort through how to deal with the things that are ALREADY in the Inbox; he can put some things in the "Outbox" and plan how best to move the other things from the Inbox to the Outbox.

3. Additions to the Inbox from the outside word means he must dedicate more time, money, energy, and resources because the Inbox just got bigger. This also interferes with all the other plans and priorities of the current items in the Inbox.

So, the "Man Cave" idea is a way for a man to get away from it all. It is a form of sleep for his mind. He won't get any new Inbox items and can choose to totally ignore both the Inbox and Outbox if he wants.

0|0
    0|0
    • I voted "Other".

However, yes, I agree with you in the sense that a "Man Cave" should not be the Adulting-Avoidance Zone.

• RESPONSE TO UPDATE:

I agree; that's ridiculous.

Men need to be equal partners in chores if not more so.

Work/chores first; fun later.

I don't have a single gaming system in my home and never did even though they've been around since the early- to mid-1970s.

• What’s wrong with this? So you don’t want a “man cave” but I’m sure you have your preferred hobbies. His happen to be a bit nosier and expensive and I can see why he’d want his personal space for gaming.

0|4
    0|0
  • Men need a place to get away from nagging controlling females.
    The simple concept that you get mad at him wanting time to himself or to have enjoyment outside or you, is proof of this need.

Trying to have hobbies and activities that make us happy is NOT childish.
    Controlling and expecting us to do what YOU deem appropriate is a childish mindset.

0|2
    1|0
  • Even if you do not share his hobbies, why shouldn't he be able to follow them in his own home? Sure, if you both would be gamers then he'd hardly need a gaming/training/reading whatever room just for himself but would share one with you instead.

0|2
    0|0
    • I meant if you both share the same interests* I originally referred solely to the gaming room described in the post but then wanted to refer to any kind of hobby room but messed up.

• If you do not want your husband to game then don't marry a gamer smh... Marrying someone in the hope that he/she would change is beyond stupid.

• I suppose it depends on how much their wife sucks… I’d guess any dude you marry is going to need one from this: “immature childish man cave ”. Just because a guy gets married doesn’t mean he’s going to stop having his own hobbies and interests and that he won’t need some space from time to time. You obviously don’t like that and will nag him about it and degrade him so he’s going to build some shit to get the fuck away from you from time to time or will find another women that is more compassionate towards him and then cheat on you.

0|2
    0|0
  • For me, a man cave is basically my home gym. A place where I can workout and let loose. I'm not a gamer so I won't have a gaming man cave so to speak.

1|1
    0|0
    • See, I much prefer that gymming idea. I just have an issue with gaming to be honest, feel it’s a massive waste of time.

• I guess that's how he takes pleasure with his free time. I think gaming is fine so long as you set boundaries. For me, I try to strike a balance with my exercising and martial arts with my other responsibilities. It doesn't always work out but I try haha. Maybe when he does go off a tangent, talk to him. Tell him that you're not expecting him to go cold turkey but rather be mindful of the time he spends because in a relationship, self love is very important and also loving your partner

• If a guy has a man cave in his home then the women should have her women cave. It only seems fair and it ends any disputes and argument about it.

1|0
    0|0
  • The idea of the man cave is just to have an area that he controls because generally women take over the rest of the house and decide how it can be decorated, what can be left out, what it has to have, etc.
    It's not about being immature and hiding from your wife to play games lol for lots of men their "man cave" is just their workshop where they fix the car or build things.

0|0
    0|0
  • My man cave is my garage where I play with my hobbies and fix her car. No beer. just a stereo for music.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yea he needs it because he is stressed out from all the nonsense his wife is putting him through and kids, work and everything else he doesn't really want to deal with so he deserves a place to have some R and R as an escape from everything

0|3
    0|0
  • It's our way to recharge our batteries, to be in peace for a while, not be disturbed and do everything we want without being bothered. It's not against you or anything, we just need to recharge our batteries. Now, if you can't leave your man in peace every now and then, you might have issues.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think calling a room for video games a man cave is one hell of a stretch.
    But yes, we need one spot in the house we can call our own to keep or sanity. One spot to watch sports, drink beer and keep our stuf where nobody is gonna fuck with it.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's just about having a private space in his own home. Some place he has that is uniquely his. That's a mental health thing more than anything else.

0|4
    0|0
  • You sound like a control freak men should stay away from you

0|5
    0|0
  • Seeing as women usually have full control over the rest of the house having one room shouldn't be a big deal.

0|3
    1|0
  • Listen, the fact is that when people move in together, more often than not the woman will take the primary role in decorating. The house, while still possibly retaining some of the guys style, will be a majority reflection of her tastes. That's fine, it is what it is, and it generally works out fine. So if a guy wants one damn room to decorate however he wants, to set up in a way he finds appealing, what is wrong with that? The room could be a study, an office, or a man cave. Whatever you call it, and whether it's just a room with a computer and a chair, or a whole fucking arcade, what's so damn bad about that?

No, he shouldn't spend all his time there, but if he is there are bigger, underlying, problems.

1|1
    0|0
  • A husband having some space of his own is a good thing if he uses his space and time appropriately. (Same goes for the wife)

Everyone needs a space to go when they need alone time or to decompress after a stressful day. They should be able to decorate & do what ever they want in that space with in reason of coarse.

This really isn't a new idea its just been rebranded. My Mom had her craft room and my Dad had his den neither of which were we allowed in unless given express permission. Same with my grandparents, Grandpa had his workshop and Grandma had her sewing room.

Personally the names "Man Cave" and "She-Shed" just aren't as pleasant sounding as Den/Workshop and Sewing/Craft room.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think its good in any relationship for either partner to have their own space so yes a man cave is a good thing but so is a crafting room or whatever women like as an escape

0|0
    0|0
  • You are worrying about a stereotype. This is not how most guys live. Don't marry an immature selfish guy and life will be fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think you want to have a guy raging or shit talking on his ps4 int the middle of the living room.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on what he does with the man cave. If he uses it reasonably, and doesn't spend an undue amount of time in there, then it seems OK. If he spends a lot of time in there, especially if it somewhat isolates himself from parental and marriage responsibilities around the house, then a man cave would likely make any wife angry. A man cave is a place to hang out, but really, it makes more sense to make it a place where the whole family is involved. I know I'd be upset is my wife had a woman cave, and she disappeared when things needed to get done, or the kids needed something, etc. Parenting is a dual responsibility.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think there’s nothing wrong with it but thank god mine doesn’t play video games

0|0
    0|0
  • She has the whole damn house. Let him have one room.

0|2
    0|0
    • Don't believe me, he moves one thing around and she has a conniption.

• Yes! Give him some space. Everyone needs a place to get away from life once in a while.

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes, every man needs a man cave. I can tell by what you wrote that you've never seen, let alone been in someone's man cave.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's because the woman usually gets control over the rest of the house, the guy needs his own space.

0|1
    0|0
  • The only reason why a guy needs a "man cave" is because the woman he is with doesn't want him to enjoy any of his hobbies and thinks he should only do work and not enjoy life at all.
    The good kind of woman would not only understand that he should get to enjoy his hobbies, but she would actually participate in them with him and make it part of their together time occasionally.

I won't have one. I'll play games in the living room that I bought, on my TV and if the woman doesn't like it she can leave permanently. I'd never want someone that thinks my life should just be work and no enjoyment. Does she have any hobbies that she enjoys? Doesn't she realize the man should get to enjoy his too?

0|1
    0|0
  • Every man need a mancave just like every woman needs a mirror

0|1
    0|0
  • If you're referring the man cave to either the living room or the entertainment room, then yes. However, it should not be for just the man. It should be for the rest of the family, as well. My dad never had a man cave (unless it was the garage). All the rooms were shared by everyone. If anything, the entire house is the man's cave (or at least should be). If he wants peace and quiet for whatever reason, then just tell everyone. They should respect that. If they aren't willing to do that, then yes - a man should have his own part of the house he has all to himself.

1|0
    0|0
  • I dont see the point of a man cave... or a sheshed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Many men no longer want children so they are spending all that money on their hobby room/man cave.

0|0
    0|0
  • If he's introverted, a virgin, and over 40, a man cave might be a good idea.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe? What if it has all his tools in it as well?

0|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend has one in his house

0|1
    0|0
  • It was called the study.

1|0
    0|0
  • Let the guy do what he freakin wants

0|0
    0|0
  • I wish I had the space for one

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like an over grown child to me.

0|0
    0|5
    • You know a mancave can be just about anything right? Lol like even an office room?

• I have my computer room.

0|0
    0|1
  • A place to call his own spot

0|0
    0|0
  • I’d let my husband have a man cave

0|0
    0|0
  • jealous?

0|0
    0|0
  • A man having some space of his own infuriates you? You sound like a divorce waiting to happen. Very self centered and immature.

0|3
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes