Should a serious or married couple have access to each others phones?

It's the whole intimacy vs privacy. On the one hand... if you trust your partner and respect their boundaries it's a definite no. On the other hand, if there was nothing to hide,
married couple have access to each others phones?
There should be no need for passwords etc
  • Yes - they should have nothing to hide
  • No - it's about personal privacy and boundaries
  • Depends - limited access or situational access
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D
Interesting results of this poll so far.. the majority of people voted for outright privacy. However the majority of women voted for sharing phones. From what I've discussed so far - men want (blind?) trust... or at least not to be distrusted off the bat... Whilst women want the intimacy of knowing that those boundaries can be crossed BECAUSE the trust is so high. It's always interesting to see gendered responses like this...

5546

Most Helpful Girls

• My mom and step dad have been married now for about 11 years. They are very chill people and they have no privacy because as my mom and step dad say, once they married, they became 1. They have nothing to hide from each other and no secrets. My step dad will get a message on his phone while he's in the garden and my mom will reply. My step dad does the same with my mom. They obviously let each other know that they got a message or phone call. They share an email as well. They are so open and loving towards each other. My step dad always told me, what's the point of getting married when there's going to be not trust and secrets.

I hope to have a loving, open marriage like my mom and step dad. They've really hit the jackpot when marrying each other. Everyone says they won't get divorced and I can tell that they will never get divorced. They'll die an old couple.

• Hi Sarah. Your mom and dad sound sweet! Its awesome to hear success stories like that! Each to his own however.. As much as I tell my boyfriend about my life and friends.. I'm big on boundaries and personal identity. We become a unit that is bigger than the individual as a couple and a family.. but for me we are very much still separate people and identities. I'd be weirded out if he texted my friends on my behalf lol (its like- for me - him possessing my body and speaking through me). Its just a different relationship model to what I personally want is all... I am so happy to hear that they are such a tight and happy couple though! 🤗

• I don't understand this obsession with partner's phone. What are people are looking to find?
    I would never ever ask my partner to go through his phone. It's his phone. He's entitled to privacy and that has nothing to do with me.
    If I want to know something, I will ask.
    I take a lot of pictures of random things and stuff. I don't want anyone to see it because it's something I would like to keep it to myself. I text with my girlfriends about personal stuff and I don't think they would appreciate if my partner was reading these conversations.
    No matter how great is the relationship, everyone is entilted to privacy.

• It depends on the relationship. Me and my partner are so close that people know if they tell one of us something.. its like telling both of us... it's not hidden either (not like my friends would be shocked at me telling him). I chat to him occasionally about my friends to get a male perspective. He does with me as well. We do not tell anyone else though.. it's not broadcasting it to the world. We have a no secrets type of relationship... but each to their own..

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't know where to sit on this... If you were brother and sister could he have your cellphone? Yes, no secrets and complete openness but... Something just feels off about it... Where is the trust? Also where is the freedom? You and your girlfriends have conversations is it ok for your boyfriend/husband to know every detail of them, does he need to? It's not just your privacy it's everyone else's, let's say you are a nurse or caseworker, you are supposed to have client/patient privacy. There is something to this...

• I also dont know where to sit. Its chicken or egg though. If you guard your phone and your privacy like it's a precious treasure - you WILL be suspicious. I know a lot of people do this because they may engage in conversation or people that their partner wouldn't like.. so to avoid a fight. How can a person expect blind trust? On the other hand.. yes.. reading through the phone daily is an invasion of privacy and weird. I just feel there should be a balance- just dont know what it is?

• That's my point it's not black or white, that's what makes it unsettling

• Passwords aren't for your partner.. they are for the asshole who might get your phone if you lose it or have it stolen. Not having a password just to prove some kind of trust is CRACKERS! Protect your phones people. Give your password to your partner if it makes you feel better but don't leave your phone unprotected!