Is your partner responsible for your happiness?

2939

Most Helpful Guys

• No they are not. We are each responsible for our own happiness. I see it on GAG all the time. People have this misconception that partners are for completing your life rather than complimenting it.

Ever had a partner say "I'm not happy" during "the talk"? my experience is that 9 times out of 10 they hold their partner accountable for their happiness.

And hey, I've been that fool who sacrificed his own dreams to try and achieve my partner's. Tried the "happy wife = happy life ethos"... it doesn't work and is never reciprocated ever. You give up so much of yourself trying to appease your partner and their unattainable "vision" of life. You end up losing yourself and becoming a shell.

The next theory I tried was "happy spouse=happy house". This too failed but at least I hadn't lost myself. Was I happy? No. Was she? No. But for very different reasons. Her measure of happiness was the measure of success based off the ideals found in the women's magazines and other media she would read. Hers was a very materialistic self loathing that would not abide equality. Her happiness could only come if she had outdone her friends. In a vicious competitiveness akin to highschool girls, it really was childish.

I have come to the realisation, that happiness is derived only from deeds. The growth of the family unit is everything, and it's success is dependent on our resolve and determination to put 100% into whatever our pursuits need.

The takeaway from my ramble? Happiness and Success are often used interchangeably but they are two very different things.

Happiness comes from being rigid with life, adjusting your rate of effort to suit challenges, and reevaluating what is perfection. Thus it can only come from within. Life isn't fair and happiness doesn't come cheap, but success does, and is often quick to gain and quick to lose.

If success is having the body of the person you are competing with then cosmetic surgery makes it attainable for example. It won't necessarily make you happy but you will have achieved success.

• Just thought I would clarify the above, this can work either way. It was written from my point of view as a male in the relationship. I am sure it works both ways.

• You know... there's this trend going on nowadays where people say you should be happy on your own before you even have a partner; you should be happy and share that with your partner. I disagree with that. At a certain phase of our life we desire companionship and no matter how well our life is going on our own, or how well we're doing financially, without someone there to share experiences with, someone that understands you, has similar interests, views, sense of humor, etc... life feels dull. The people that believe they're happy on their own usually have had a bad relationship and don't want to experience that kind of sadness again and use the facade of being happy on their own as a defense mechanism. I myself can honestly say I am much happier now being with my partner than when I was without her. She's everything I can ask for and more.

Most Helpful Girls

• No you fucking can’t and let me tell you fucking why.
    When you are fucking too dependent in your fucking partner for fucking happiness, you become too fucking sad when you’re by your fucking self. You fucking have then be alone at some fucking point because alone time is fucking healthy in normal fucking relationships. And if you become too ducking dependent in your fucking partner and your fucking partner decides to fucking leave, you’re left fucking depressed

So no it’s not fucking recommended.

Also I’m not mad at your question. It’s not a bad thing. Today just sucked for me so I’m using fuck a lot

• Absolutely not! Never place your smile in another’s hands. We are all responsible for our own happiness. Nobody else can control that for us. Should someone add to our world yes I believe so but they shouldn’t be the source of our goodness