Is your partner responsible for your happiness?

Is your partner responsible for your happiness?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• No they are not. We are each responsible for our own happiness. I see it on GAG all the time. People have this misconception that partners are for completing your life rather than complimenting it.

Ever had a partner say "I'm not happy" during "the talk"? my experience is that 9 times out of 10 they hold their partner accountable for their happiness.

And hey, I've been that fool who sacrificed his own dreams to try and achieve my partner's. Tried the "happy wife = happy life ethos"... it doesn't work and is never reciprocated ever. You give up so much of yourself trying to appease your partner and their unattainable "vision" of life. You end up losing yourself and becoming a shell.

The next theory I tried was "happy spouse=happy house". This too failed but at least I hadn't lost myself. Was I happy? No. Was she? No. But for very different reasons. Her measure of happiness was the measure of success based off the ideals found in the women's magazines and other media she would read. Hers was a very materialistic self loathing that would not abide equality. Her happiness could only come if she had outdone her friends. In a vicious competitiveness akin to highschool girls, it really was childish.

I have come to the realisation, that happiness is derived only from deeds. The growth of the family unit is everything, and it's success is dependent on our resolve and determination to put 100% into whatever our pursuits need.

The takeaway from my ramble? Happiness and Success are often used interchangeably but they are two very different things.

Happiness comes from being rigid with life, adjusting your rate of effort to suit challenges, and reevaluating what is perfection. Thus it can only come from within. Life isn't fair and happiness doesn't come cheap, but success does, and is often quick to gain and quick to lose.

If success is having the body of the person you are competing with then cosmetic surgery makes it attainable for example. It won't necessarily make you happy but you will have achieved success.

0|0
    0|0
    • Just thought I would clarify the above, this can work either way. It was written from my point of view as a male in the relationship. I am sure it works both ways.

• You know... there's this trend going on nowadays where people say you should be happy on your own before you even have a partner; you should be happy and share that with your partner. I disagree with that. At a certain phase of our life we desire companionship and no matter how well our life is going on our own, or how well we're doing financially, without someone there to share experiences with, someone that understands you, has similar interests, views, sense of humor, etc... life feels dull. The people that believe they're happy on their own usually have had a bad relationship and don't want to experience that kind of sadness again and use the facade of being happy on their own as a defense mechanism. I myself can honestly say I am much happier now being with my partner than when I was without her. She's everything I can ask for and more.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• No you fucking can’t and let me tell you fucking why.
    When you are fucking too dependent in your fucking partner for fucking happiness, you become too fucking sad when you’re by your fucking self. You fucking have then be alone at some fucking point because alone time is fucking healthy in normal fucking relationships. And if you become too ducking dependent in your fucking partner and your fucking partner decides to fucking leave, you’re left fucking depressed

So no it’s not fucking recommended.

Also I’m not mad at your question. It’s not a bad thing. Today just sucked for me so I’m using fuck a lot

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not! Never place your smile in another’s hands. We are all responsible for our own happiness. Nobody else can control that for us. Should someone add to our world yes I believe so but they shouldn’t be the source of our goodness

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• You are the only one who is responsible for your happiness. Your PARTNER should compliment your life not COMPLETE your life.

2|1
    0|1
  • I'm my own happiness, we are both our happiness

0|4
    0|0
  • Nobody's responsible for your happiness but you...

0|1
    0|2
    • Happiness is union when you're couple.

• Show All
    • @RudeBoy718 Your s/o is not your shrink. But your partner... Shrinks get paid to put up with people's bs.

• They are free shrink. Cause they gotta listen to your crap, probably help you get out of it. So they do more then shrinks. Cause Shrinks don't sleep with u but your partner does.

• They play a part in it but they shouldn’t be your whole world. Your happiness should come from within, God, and not worldly things. Of course your partner also shouldn’t be making you unhappy because that will affect you as well.

0|1
    0|1
  • No! You are responsible for your own happiness. What if you work together to make each other happy that's even more beautiful. But the reality is not everybody's going to be concerned about your happiness.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on whether your partner is causing you any distress if not then no. Your happiness is based on whatever you have been going through/surroundings not your partner's responsibility. However I do think that if you are ever upset or feeling any sort of negativity your partner should try their best to cheer you up.

0|0
    0|0
  • no, I am. She can add to it, guide me , and they have done a good job at that... even when I couldn't change/more as fast as they suggested.

but she can make me miserable as heck. It's a skill women have...

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if they deliberately try to diminish it, then they would be responsible for the decrease thereof.

Otherwise, happiness comes from within, even if external factors (i. e. your partner) influence it.

0|0
    0|0
  • All the people saying no are probably the ones who’d put cheesy text on social media about their significant other “Oh Johnny you make me smile everyday” “I’m so lucky to have you in my life” “This one COMPLETES me.” Blah blah blah bs.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. Your happiness is something only you can control. Now they can increase the happiness level or excitement, but if you want to feel something only you can control it.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes and no.
    YES: If I knew from the start that someone would not make me happy, I wouldn't date, much less get involved with, her. It would be a bad investment of my time.
    NO: Your partner should not be the ONLY thing that makes you happy. There must be things that made you happy and at the same time attracted the two of you to each other. If your partner is the ONLY thing that makes you happy, then likely your relationship is unhealthy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm, I think they dedinately play a part in our happiness, but I don't believe they are responsible for it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes and no. I can take care of myself just fine, but my partner is the reason I've been feeling absolutely amazing recently :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Your partner is not responsible for your happiness. You are responsible for your happiness. If you expect your partner or any other person in any type of relationship to be responsible for your happiness you will never be happy.

0|0
    0|0
  • No.
    I mean having someone around and the sex makes me a little happier, but real inner happiness can only come from yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • I read a study showing that your life partner is responsible for 90% of your happiness. So choose wisely lol.

0|1
    0|0
  • If you believe this than you're in for a life of misery. You and only you are responsible for your happiness.

1|0
    0|1
  • I was always told that you first need to be happy yourself but honestly having her in your life made me smile and be happy. And i loved it

0|0
    0|0
  • The only responsible for my happiness in life is Kit Kat's eternal production...

Sex and coffee also can make or break a depression crisis during PMS

0|0
    0|0
  • You're the only one responsible for your happiness, this includes choosing to be around people that will help you reach it.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. If one depends on his partner to be happy he will never really be happy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course not, that's absolutely bloody ridiculous.

0|0
    0|0
  • nope, im an adult. he is not responsible for a thing

0|0
    0|0
  • No. They may have some influence, but it's not their responsability. If I'm miserable, it's my responsability to change that.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, they contribute but I'm in control of my own happiness.

0|1
    1|0
  • Noooo. Its different if they're just like intentional making you upset. But if they're doing their best and your still not happy thats on you.

0|0
    0|0
  • hell no! I am. But he contributes to my happiness... and sadness too from time to time

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Your partner shouldn't be someone you need, just someone you want.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not completely just a fraction of it like they are suppose to be but what do I know they could be more and I just don't know it yet

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Having a partner will not make you happy. It helps but it is not a solution.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, but they go a long way to helping you be happy.

0|0
    0|0
  • You and your RESPONSES are responsible for your happiness.

0|0
    0|0
  • Blowjobs are not happiness, but they do help pass the time.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, but she can either enhance it or detract from it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Happiness? No, not really. But if she cheats she's certainly responsible for my misery.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah queen, found that out the hard way. You only have yourself to make you happy

0|0
    0|0
  • nope l don't have one l am still looking for a nice girl to date

0|0
    0|0
  • No you have to be happy yourself your husband can't be happy for you

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah nope nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes of course

0|0
    0|0
  • No...

0|0
    0|0
  • Can’t depend on someone else for your happiness.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I am

0|0
    0|0
  • No. actually she's reason for my sadness

0|0
    0|0
  • No, you're responsible for your own happiness

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes, if they fuck it up I'm gonna beat their ass

0|0
    0|0
  • No but he's responsible to not screw up my mood.

0|0
    0|0
  • never

0|0
    0|0
  • Negative, just U

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd never allow someone wield that kind of power

0|0
    0|0
Show More