Told my friends with benefits I care about him, is he sharing the same feelings?

Hello everyone,
One night I told my friends with benefits "I think I care about you". He smiled, took my hand, kissed my forehead, stroked my hair and hugged me all night, but he said NOTHING. Usually I'm very cold with him (he's cold too), especially after sex. Since then he is more affectionate and open with me when we sleep with each other (pretty rare, like once at two or three months, maybe even more). We began this "relationship" three years ago.
What do you think? Is he falling for me or he's just playing?

01