Is catfishing your own partner wrong?

If you suspect that your partner is unfaithful, and you catfish him/her on social media. Is it wrong?
catfishing
catfishing

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• yes. Confront it instead. What "signs" are there? (The most important is if you notice a distancing). When people mess around usually their partners (esp. women) notice something wrong even if they cannot identify it. How he behaves under direct questioning will tell you much more than catfishing. If you have specific details (like where were you Friday night) then get their story and make them give details. That commits him to a story. Ask him again later about some of these details-if his answers were made up they won't match (that tells you he is lying) These details can often be checked independently of asking him again too. Catfishing is morally wrong and possibly illegal. I think you will find out much more my way-and all you really want to or need to know is if he is cheating so you can drop his ass. And this way will tell you that.

0|1
    0|0
  • That’s a hard one to answer. No one wants to be cheated on so if friends and family claim to see your partner with others or trying to it’s not completely wrong. No one wants to be cheated on so it’s good to find out as soon as possible and sometimes that’s the only way. People should only do it if they have strong evidence because if they find out the person isn’t the results may backfire. It might ruin the relationship because their partner is so hurt and doesn’t trust them anymore. It’s a win, lose result if you find out they are. You win by finding out and lose because the relationship might end. It’s a win, lose, result if they’re not. You win by knowing you’re with an honest partner. You lose if your partner ends the relationship.

1|1
    0|0
    • Let me add, if you have strong evidence first talk to them. If they refuse to admit it then you try other ways to find out.

Most Helpful Girls

• Lol I love some of these comments. They say its wrong to catfish your partner if you think they are cheating, but no one says its wrong that the partner is cheating! Like jeez people, cheating is not okay! I don't see anything wrong with trapping someone in an act they are committing but I do think it goes against someone's values because you are lying to your partner just as they are lying to you. So you both shouldn't be together because you both lie to each other which is hurting the other person. Why would you want to hurt the other person? Just ask them if they are, you can always tell if someone is cheating by the way they respond, you can feel their guilt in their response.

5|0
    0|0
    • No one is saying cheating is right. Of course it's wrong. Doing this is all very funny, but what happens if they are not cheating. Then what? Your partner would have all the reason to be angry at you.

• @ThisIsMyOpinion Yes, exactly. So its a risk they are taking, but some people were saying very harsh things about the fishing and not the cheating. Both things are wrong

• yes lol, it’s twisted as fuck. just as going trough your loved one’s messages or shit like that. if you sense something’s wrong, just goddamn talk to each other! also if you can’t trust someone you’re in relationship, there’s not really a point being in the relationship, is there

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Yes... You're testing someone that trusts you... yet you don't trust them. Who's hiding some dirty secret now?

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless you 99% know he's cheating then it's completely wrong..

0|0
    0|0
  • Am I being punked here? Ashton... where are you?

4|3
    1|0
  • Considering you're trying to create a problem in order to prove there is a problem, yeah it's wrong.

Trying to create a problem to prove there is a problem makes YOU the problem and if I found out my partner was doing that, the relationship would be over right then and there.

How would you even go about it? Obviously your partner is with you because they like many things about you... So what, do you create a fake version of yourself that you make out to be better than your real self so then your partner thinks, "If this person is better and more compatible for me than my current partner, why am I with my current partner?"

That's what dating and going out with someone is all about... To figure out if you both work well together and you're the best person to plan long term with.

We are all trying to find the right person to be with, that's the point of it all.

And you trying to fake yourself as someone else in order to trick your partner into liking someone else, as well as trying to make the real you out to be less than what he wants... Well, you're just sabotaging your own relationship regardless if he likes the fake you over the real you, or if he finds out you're screwing with him.

You got trust issues and if you don't trust your partner, then stop this crap now and walk away. Relationships need trust and you don't have any.

All this will do is make you out to be the bad guy, and justifiably so.

1|0
    0|0
  • My wife did that once before we were married.
    I caught her.
    Honestly, I should have terminated our relationship immediately and would have had she not already been living with me and not having anywhere else to go.
    That was the first time she ever did something where I felt betrayed and could not trust her. The second was when she was in on a practical joke against me. I told her after that that "If you ever did something like that again, you are gone. No hope of reconciliation and you will never see or hear from me again unless it is for divorce proceedings."

She got the message.

Going back to catfishing me, really, I should have dumped her right then and there and removed her permanently and immediately from my life. Had any other girlfriend catfished me, that's what would have happened.

You need to understand something fundamental about men.
    Indeed, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT EVERY WOMAN NEEDS TO LEARN ABOUT MEN:

More than sex, we need trust and loyalty from our woman.
    IF A MAN CANNOT TRUST HIS WOMAN, SHE IS ___WORTHLESS___ TO HIM.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it's wrong. If you suspect something, you should talk to your partner directly with your concern, rather than conduct your own little sting operation. It shows a complete lack of trust, and is a good way to get broken up with.

Variations of this include instructing a friend to flirt with you, and doing it secretly and not admitting to it if the result pleases you. But regardless, if a girlfriend did that with me I'd probably break up with her, or at least very strongly consider it.

1|0
    0|0
    • Not if you go about it correctly, how in the world would they find out? If they respond well to your attempts just lie about your reason for breaking up, simple as that and they're none the wiser

• If you're willing to completely betray the trust of someone, as well as commit fraud and coercion towards them. Just break up with them.
    If you're right, you're both terrible people, if you're wrong, you're a huge piece of shit and they are far better off without u.

0|0
    0|1
  • I think it screams lack of trust but that being said I have heard people doing it & catching their partners cheating so it’s s tough one

2|0
    0|0
  • No shit, of course it’s wrong.
    Their wrong if they’re being unfaithful. 100%. But if you start catfishing then you’re definitely making yourself a part of the problem. It’s not okay to pretend to be another person. Just talk to your partner.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Relationships are built on trust. If you lack trust enough to go through with something like this, it's a sign things are really bloody wrong no matter how it ends up. Don't do this.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you can't trust your partner and seems like you two can't talk like adults and have to do that behind him you must know this is a big enormous great signal saying the relationship is not working

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t call it wrong but it’s not the most healthy thing to do. And unfortunately that’s how a lot of people get caught 😂😂😂

3|0
    0|0
  • Your a dumb son of a bitch if you do, if you don't trust them then you should break up. And they are falling in love with a side of you that you pretend to be, so in some ways they are falling for you all over again, but with a lie. You are also confirming there are side about you they don't like if it happens, but why risk it at all. Don't date if you don't trust. I would break up with you just for doing that even though I would never bite on your fish.

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean yea I think it's wrong. I've had friends who have tried doing that and really it does show a lack of trust. If you can't trust what he tells you to your face then you should probably move on. Sorry. 😕

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is. I think you should just trust your partner and if you don't, talk about it like adults. Don't go testing them or playing games.

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course that's wrong... You know how to attract him, and you've already done it once successfully. It's a test that you have designed for him to fail.

0|1
    0|0
  • No I don’t think so. If you truly suspect somthing is up. How else would you know.

3|2
    0|0
  • I mean catfishing was already pretty bad but doing it to your partner? Not only is that some psychotic thing to do, it's setting someone up

1|0
    0|0
    • Like they probably weren’t even thinking about then a hotter version of you comes along and they be like wow, it just doesn’t make sense why people would do it, just talk to the guy in my opinion

• Eeeeh…wot? Are you serious?
    Yes! How about talking with him? Huh? No? Manipulation and this shit instead? You should break up. But not because he might cheat, but because of you actually doing this.

1|0
    1|0
  • My ex did that. She made a fake profile and flirted with me to test me to see if I was interested in other women. I didn't fall for it which made her look pretty stupid.

0|1
    0|0
    • Did you not fall for it because you knew it was her or because you are faithful? You can be 100% honest lol

• Show All
    • Why were you on a dating site though?

• @pooper89 this post is literally example as to why its ok to an extent, if you just want truth so you can break it off with them it's fine, but obviously not to guilt them, I'd go as far as to even lie to them about the reason why I broke it off

• It's distrustful and dishonest, so yeah it's wrong. It would be funny if my boyfriend tried that on me though.

1|0
    0|0
  • I did it once because I had strong suspicions, and I was proven right.

0|0
    0|0
  • Causing anyone is wrong. Causing your partner is worse. Don't be a catfish. Don't be a bottom-feeder.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion it’s deceitful. You should trust your partner, if not get one of your close friends who you trust to suss things out or something.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's dumb. Honestly, if you are that worried, end the relationship.

3|0
    1|0
  • Yes, simply because if you are catfishing your partner that means you don't trust him.

2|1
    1|0
  • Is that what the partner serves the purpose?

Its same as doing parents signature on some bad remarks in school, just coz you know your parents will be mad at you.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not if it's wrong you should be asking, it's if it's stupid. And the answer is a big and loud YES! Because if you don't trust him you shouldn't be with him.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes it's wrong.
    you should approach them bluntly and directly.

1|0
    0|1
  • Umm I did once..
    I act like I was someone else.. but i felt guilty and i quickly told him why i did it..
    It was wrong for me to do it as well

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes the ends justify the means. You either find he's actually loyal or that your suspicions are correct.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you are in a super real relationship and there is a REAL good reason you suspect it I agree that doing a test like that is fine.

0|0
    0|0
    • OR you can just go into relationships with loyal people instead of picking them because of height or some stupid thing like that.

• Yes, if you suspect something enough to yourself become dishonest leave or confront them don't stoop to their level.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ehhh yes, it is wrong. How is that even a question? Try to talk this out instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • technically it is because it's considered entrapment. But they're in the wrong for knowingly trying to cheat on you so it's a no-win situation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes It's wrong. If you don't trust your boyfriend break up

1|0
    1|0
  • No it just shows how much of a weirdo you are and how much psychological help you need

0|0
    0|0
  • Uh, catfishing is wrong. Now catfishing your partner just makes it 10 times worse.

0|0
    1|0
  • If you do this you deserve the misery it'll bring you

0|0
    0|0
  • It's psychotic to say the least. Someone like that should check themselves in to a mental facility.

0|0
    2|0
  • yes. it's extremely wrong. If yu don't want to be with them then just break up with them

0|0
    0|1
  • Very wrong. TALK to your partner.

1|0
    1|0
  • I don't think it's wrong tbh.

2|1
    1|0
  • nope, i've done it before.

0|0
    1|0
  • Not wrong