Is being financially responsible when it comes to relationships/potential partners important to you?

It’s not how much money you earn.. it’s mainly more about you being responsible when it comes to money.

Do you just spend it like there’s no tomorrow OR do you save half and spend half OR just don’t generally spend it at all and save?
Oink oink cha ching! 🤑
Oink oink cha ching! 🤑

I want one of these 😂
I want one of these 😂

3|3

Most Helpful Guys

• Yeah it's important to me because I view every girl as I date as a potential permanent partner so I look for things like is she irresponsible , is she bad with money.

Having fun and spending money is all fine and well just make sure you can afford it, like don't go and have a weekend trip if it'll put you behind enough that it'll threaten the bills and not put food on the table you know? Just common sense.

As for me it really just depends if I have a surplus of money and nothing I particularly need I may indulge and buy a few things I want but in general I try to save my money. If I won the lottery I'd probably put most of it away and invest some of it, rather then go on a spending spree, I'm that kind of guy.

2|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it's important. Real life isn't fantasyland where you can spend and spend and never have to worry. Emergencies happen, cars break, jobs are lost, tenants are evicted, etc. You'd better have some savings to get you through. And being a slave to consumer debt is terrible.

3|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It’s important to me to hold a job that could reasonably support me if my husband were taken from me. It’s important also so while together I can contribute to our home. It’s important he knows he could lean on me if he ever lost his job, became ill etc I think everyone needs financial independence & responsibility

1|0
    0|1
  • If I want to marry them the answer is YES. I would not want to date somebody I cannot envisioning marrying, let alone marry somebody who has these red flags. It is a MUST. Otherwise, no plans of marriage or kids, do whatever you want as long as your not living with them.

2|0
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• yes especially if we're talking about long term/marriage. you cannot pay bills with just love for each other...

2|1
    0|1
  • Simple
    Everything needs a balance.

3|1
    0|0
  • It is vital for the suvival of any relationship. Both partners have to plan for the loss of either one of them.

Although my mum has a career in her own right, for which there will always be a need, my dad made very adequate provisions for her, and us kids, in the event of something going wrong.

It is as if he knew he would not survive long after he reached his 30's.

2|1
    0|0
  • Best a man who is responsible with money especially if it's a long term relationship so you don't suffer the consiquences. And you never know when you will need the money you irresponsibly spent, I'd prefer a man who can spend wisely and save wisely.

1|1
    1|1
  • Being responsible in general is important to me in a relationship and being responsible with money shows me they have will power and I can trust them not to do stupid stuff with money if we ever got a shared bank account together in the future.

I don't want someone who takes money for granted and pisses it up the walls, I see that as muture and stupid.

1|1
    1|1
  • Of course money managing it's important, both for my girlfriend and me.
    We have an house to maintain and a family to build, we keep track of everything we earn, spend and put away.

3|2
    0|0
  • It over the top importance to me! I am a Type A person. I judge guys on how he spends his money before I even decide on anything. If I have to be responsible why doesn't he?

It shows me he thought of a future not just living in the here and now. Which is fine to an extent but rainy days do come.

1|1
    0|1
  • eh to some extent. If she's wasteful that's okay as long as it's not crippling her to the point of asking others to cover her bills or rent. As long as she's not to that extent I'm good. Most people spend to much on eating out or things they don't need. I know for me if I simply don't eat out for a week I SUDDENLY have so much extra cash. Because $8-12 here and there for just one meal adds up quickly

3|0
    0|0
  • It is important to me that each person contributes their share of the normal expenses. They can spend the remainder of their own earnings how they want, but I think it is a good idea to save up enough for 6 months of expenses just in case, and after that go ahead and spend the rest of your money each month after expenses are covered.

2|1
    0|0
  • I mean yeah, it's important we don't spend it on stupid shit.
    Actually if I'm honest, I just answered this question to tell you that you have sexy feet.

1|0
    0|1
  • It is important to me that she is smart and frugal with her money. I date for marriage, so if I am marrying a woman I would want her to have that perspective in our relationship as well.

3|1
    0|0
  • Absolutely, I can't be with someone who isn't financially responsible or informed. It's just too much. I like good credit, no debt, and etc. We have to be a good unit financially to work out.

1|1
    1|1
  • Yes, very important. Most Americans today live in extravagent debt.
    It's important to save for emergencies or something unforseen.
    My friends marriage just ended due to his wife blowing wads of money on needless things.

1|1
    0|0
  • I want one of those!!! I think you need to treat yourself but keep your partner in mind. Kind of balance it out or find a good balance that works for you make 25% you and 75% your partner something like that

2|0
    0|0
  • Apparently not. My boyfriend is terrible with money. It's a very nice ability to have, and I'm very responsible when it comes to money. But life goes to show its not that important to me in a partner.

1|0
    0|1
  • Of course it is. You don't want to have to carry someone and you aren't very attractive if you are being carried.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes! I am more responsible than my guy when it comes to money, but he's not reckless.
    At times I wish he didn't make large purchases, but it's his money and he should enjoy using it.

2|0
    0|1
  • Not matter how much you earn, if you are not financially responsible it will put financial strain to the relationship. You need to have savings for any future unexpected emergencies.

1|1
    0|1
  • If we are pooling our money, then no one should be spending on stupid things. I’m actually really good with money.

2|1
    0|1
  • well when i get money i tend to spend it wisely as im not a person that can fill up a house with money, i dont save it cause money is to use so unless i have something im saving up for i just spend wisely

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I think for women it's right to judge how much the man makes and how he spends it, but for men, we have a right only to judge how she spends it. We ultimately don't want her earning, we want her working for the family.

1|0
    1|1
  • It is not so much how money you have but how you manage that money. I have known people on welfare that are much smarter with money than some wealthy people I have known.

1|2
    0|0
  • Extremely important. Having savings is essential in life as you never know when you'll need a lump sum. Being in debt is very unattractive.

1|1
    0|1
  • It’s more important the older you get. Or if you’re marrying you want a partner who has figured out how to have good credit.

1|1
    0|0
  • Being as more divorces occur from financial stress, that from sexual issues, being financially independent is important.

2|0
    0|0
  • I tend to be responsible with money and would want to continue that well into marriage. Saving for a rainy day is always a good thing.

1|1
    0|1
  • Everyone should pay for their own expenses and have limits on gifts. The good times are only temporary. In the end, everyone is out to save themselves at your expense.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, how she manages her finances is important to me.

1|1
    0|0
  • If course. Financial stability betters ones chance of survival.

1|1
    0|1
  • Hells yes! It wasn’t in my youth but after struggling trying to teach my husband financial responsibility, I don’t want to go through that again!!

1|0
    0|1
  • I spend on what I need. I'm purely practical. If it doesn't serve a function I don't want or need it. If a girlfriend wants to spend money on decorum I don't care.

1|0
    0|0
  • Very important. He has to be responsible if he wants a wife and family.

1|1
    1|1
  • As long as bills are paid and roof over head , food in r mouths clothes on r back i dont care what she does with the rest

1|0
    0|0
    • 7d

My dad thought like you. In his old age he was always stressed about money because mom spent like 80% on frivolous stuff. They blew through his retirement in 5 years. Lost their house and moved into an apartment. He would be up almost every night trying to figure out how to make more money while she slept like a baby

• Show All
    • 7d

Nothing wrong with living a little :)

• 7d

As long as i am able to bit my craft beer on the weekends i am fine lol

• Kinda as long as she can pay for the things she needs like gas and shit I don’t mind what she spends money on like we are not married or anything

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I wouldn't want someone who spends like an idiot. Even if she makes good money.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd say so. Being financially responsible is very important in adult life in general.

1|1
    0|1
  • I'm very good with my money. Been in the gutter, never again.

2|0
    0|0
  • It is important to me because I have longterm goals that require having a savings.

2|1
    0|1
  • Yes. Her ability to handle money is more oft than not a reflection of her ability to handle other personal responsibilities.

1|0
    0|0
  • If I could save half that would be awesome!

But no not really as long as you got enough to survive and maybe save a little thats fine by me

1|0
    0|0
  • as long as she ain't asking for money all the damn time

1|0
    0|0
    • I DID NAWT HIT HER ITS BULLSHIT I DID NAWT HIT HER I DID NAWT... Oh hai Mark!

• I'd like to say yes, but given how she handles money, I must admit no.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how serious I want the relationship to be

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I don't want a moron for a wife that goes to the store and buys a $100 or more purse.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depend, usually you don't wanna spend more then you earn per work day

1|0
    0|0
  • No, because I have no intention of sharing bank accounts.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is something very important without doubt

1|1
    0|1
  • Absolutely. Yes.

1|1
    0|1
  • it's important to me

1|1
    0|0
  • It’s an important factor, yes