Can an abusive partner ever truly change from beating his partner in a relationship?

Will he ever changeCan an abusive partner ever truly change from beating his partner in a relationship?

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• If its just something that gets out of hand and physical cause you're not in the right relationship it possible. A man that physically punched a woman NO.
    When I was 16 I worked with this guy and it turns out his wife was having an affair. Me and the boss found out cause she called him the guy had went off on her. My boss took her back to the store and after she settled down I asked what started it. She told me it was for no reason and he just went nuts. Probably 6 or 7 years later he married a girl I knew. I don't know how long they were married but he beat her to death. So no some will never change.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure if he gets help. I mean real help. If not then HELL NO. Most don't get help because they actually like who they are... mean and abusive and that is sad.

4|4
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Anybody can change but somebody who abuses their partner does not deserve another chance - in the same way that somebody who is loving and kind does not deserve to be abused.

It's like what Jesus said "Why take the bread from the children to give it to their dogs?"

The salvation of the innocent victim of abuse is more important than the abuser's right to redeem himself by changing his behaviour in the relationship

For that reason - if one abuses another - the relationship should end

2|0
    0|0
  • No, an abusive partner, whether they are male OR FEMALE, should never be trusted or expected to change.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• No. Not unless he gets real professional help and stays in a program longterm.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it depends on the context. Beating sounds really severe, and if that's the case, most likely not.

I'm a cop and I've been on a lot of domestic dispute calls and have seen a lot of shit lol. I try and put myself in both people's shoes before I make any arrest or decision.

I consider the fact that love can really get the best of us at times. You invest all of yourself into one person, and then they say things out of anger that really sink in where it hurts.

My point is that there is a lot of emotion involved with love and close relationships which include good and bad emotions and no one is 100% composed literally all the time. We all lose our composure here or there and these are the things that make us human. Sure, there are pieces of shit that have no self control and act like neanderthals, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that doesn't constitute everyone who's ever hit someone they loved.

Growing up, my dad told me some really hurtful shit right before I went into the Marine Corps and started getting in my face. I told him to back off and he kept going and I couldn't handle it, especially him pinning me up against the wall. I swung at him and landed a punch. He got one in too. Saw him in on the floor with blood on his face and just lost it. I didn't even take a moment to digest what just happen. I immediately apologized profusely and helped him back him up and said I'd never disrespect him like that again in my life, and haven't since. He told me to get the fuck out of his face and I literally shipped off to boot camp on that note.

I wrote him all the time when I could and we did make amends, and he was so proud of me watching me graduate in uniform. The reason he was so upset is because he was protecting my mom by natural instinct. They put my in good schools, and moved me out of a bad situation and gave me such a good life, and my mom felt betrayed that I was going to enlist in the Marine Corps infantry to go get killed or blown up when I had a lot of other opportunities. She didn't understand and she was crying every night. It got to a point in which my dad was guilt tripping me for leaving trying to protect my mom. I totally get it today. I really do.

I certainly don't think that I'm just a piece of shit human being because this happened.. nor do I think my dad is. We love each other and shit got heated.

I had my ex push me against a wall and slapped me when she thought I was cheating when I wasn't. I pushed her back to get her away and she hit the floor pretty hard. I don't consider my ex to be a piece of shit because of that. She never did anything like that again.

Sister slapped me growing up when I slept with one of her best friends. Don't think she's a piece of shit for that either. Just a bad moment.

I really don't like arresting individuals for simple disputes like this, but the law says I have to if anyone lays a hand on each other. Having said that, there are a lot of people who are pieces of shit. So I'm considering both.

1|0
    0|0
  • No they can say all the things in the world. Meaning how they are going 2 change. Oh it want happen again. I will go 2 counseling. I promise u this was the last time. Then after they won ur for giveness. What do they do. As i say it they smack a bitch or hit u. Reason i say bitch once a man hits a woman. That's when he considers her his bitch. They will never change. Cause they always look as women as bitches. Not for the woman they should be glad 2 be around.

2|0
    0|0
  • I wish this wasn’t depicted as men hitting women. I know some guys that have been abused by females! But anyways with changed pattern and intense therapy yes! But I recommend you leave that relationship while the other partner works on their toxic ways. DV is dangerous

1|3
    0|0
  • Only way he prob learn is when u get the strength to beat his ass back AND THEN LEAVE HIM
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2y3u78

1|0
    0|0
  • Both sexes can be abusive.

I think of it as a gamble: are you willing to stick around to find out if they will change and risk being beaten in the process? I say that's not a worth gamble. No matter who you are, you deserve better than being beaten.

2|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t know. I would never give an abusive partner the opportunity to decide if they wanted to change their ways and treat me better. Guys and girls, if your partner is abusing you, leave!

1|0
    0|0
  • Almost never. And it's not like the physical beating takes place as an anomaly in an otherwise good relationship.

If you got hit, the relationship is already waaaaaaay too broken to fix.

1|0
    0|0
  • Rarely. must get triggered in some way te realize what he/she is doing isn't a good thing and change. otherwise not.

It could be the abusive person has some sort of mental thing like sadist or in the area of narcissism sociopath psychopath. not so much you could do there but getting distance and get that person out of your life.

1|0
    0|0
  • He does not seem that he can handle anger very well. Often he feels like he looses control over his partner and has to gain the control again. So he beats her to make her silent and obedient. At this point the only thing their relationship is based on is fear. He has power over her and he will not give that up. He can't change.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends when he get severe confrontation from his partner. É. g. If he has beaten the first time his wife and she kicks immediately his balls hard so he can see that a physical abusive behavior won't be accepted by her and he will think twice the next time...

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope, and only a fool would go with one if they know about his beating tendencies.

2|0
    0|0
  • No, they will not change.
    It should also be noted that about half of the violent abusers are female.
    Fun fact: domestic violence statistics show that lesbian relationships are the most violent.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t say every person who ever hit a partner would do it again. But I do think certain lines should never be crossed in relationships & when they are it’s pretty common for them to get worse. My husband has come into homes where a woman’s face resembles hamburger meat. He’s had to witness a woman after her boyfriend broke her eye socket. He walked in on a woman threatening her husband with scissors. Another where a man had locked himself in the bathroom & his girlfriend beat on the door with a pan. Truly savage treatments from people who supposedly at one time cared about them. That’s why I think it makes a fair amount of sense to not accept that treatment even once. The boundaries are clear as are the consequences.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. They will always be abusive. The best you can expect is they stop the physical abuse part at some point.

2|1
    0|0
  • From everything I have witnessed, it's not man that are abusing women, it's women abusing men. And this goes on all the time here in the US because women know they can get away with it.

1|0
    1|0
  • sure they can but i wouldn't stick around to find out. there's no reason to stay in a relationship where you're beaten up.

2|0
    0|0
  • Nope. It just doesn’t happen. Have you ever heard someone say, “I used to be abusive”?

1|0
    0|0
  • As soon as she gives me a good reason to not beat her lolz

Joking... but seriously I would look at why the dude hit her first and foremost to answer your question. If it's for some bullshit she isn't going to be able to change or not do... I highly doubt it's going to be an avoidable occurrence. Now if it's because she cheated, he's pissed but is physically forcing him to not leave the house, and she catches a smack so that he can finally get away from her incessant yapping and manipulating so that he can get a chance to think for himself by himself without her influence on the entire matter... Yeah, that's different.

But again if she's not about to change any of that bullshit that led up to the said smack... expect more smacks in the future.

1|0
    1|0
  • for the majority no, unfortunately... but for some people the factors behind "why" and "what triggers their outburst" can be treated and as a result those people can change...
    some cases where there is a trigger it could simply be a past issue from childhood or traumatic experience which they act first think later...
    once they get help then yes it is possible for them to fix what damage their behaviour has caused, but it would be an extremely long journey and full of ups and downs on the way... trust has to be rebuilt before they can fully be able to heal and turn things around for the better

1|0
    0|0
  • He can help himself to this ass whooping. Don't let me catch you putting your hands on a female.
    ~Mr Bails Extraordinaire

1|2
    0|0
  • It's possible. But is your safety/life really worth the gamble?

1|0
    0|0
  • If my sisters boyfriend abused her it would be over idgf what she says
    Or the law says I, d do anything and everything to sabatoge that shit

1|0
    0|0
  • If women keep throwing themselves at him, why would he?

2|0
    0|0
  • No, he/she may have a personality disorder which can only be treated through therapy

1|1
    0|0
  • No!!! abuser always that way they never change always say they will and don’t

2|0
    0|0
  • only if they were almost killed an lived mist likely

1|0
    0|0
  • No, it will only get worse.

2|1
    0|0
  • Not that I know of

1|0
    0|0
  • Not that I’ve ever experienced.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so
    Unless he wants to change

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't recommend sticking around to find out.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's possible, but not likely.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say no.

2|0
    0|0
  • He will never change

2|0
    0|0
  • No once a pussy always a pussy

2|1
    0|0
  • No he won't change ever

2|0
    0|0
  • No not a chance

2|0
    0|0
  • NO..., leave him immediately

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes because I've seen it before.

1|0
    0|0
  • Definitely not. Get out while you can

1|0
    0|0
  • Unlikely.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope, he will stay the same.

1|0
    0|0
  • NOPE!

1|0
    0|0
  • It is so rare as to essentially be "no".

1|0
    0|0
  • Never

2|0
    0|0
  • No. Once an abuser always an abuser

2|0
    0|0
  • I somehow don't think that they would change, no.

1|0
    0|0
  • He will never change.

1|0
    0|0
  • He is mindless.

1|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes