Is it normal for your family to get into your relationship drama?

My mom irritates me she's always so caught up in my brother and his gf's drama but obviously she talks down on my brother's girlfriend and not my brother, they been having problems with their relationship but my mom gossips about it with my sister. She never talks about the good things they do, it's only always the bad stuff it's like she like's seeing their relationship fail. It makes me not want to tell her anything if I ever get in a relationship.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• They tried, then they found out that maybe I was right about her being a straight-up evil bitch and her whining and bitching about how bad I was turned out to be verifiable lies. They no longer try, especially after I decided people who would rather go with the liar than me didn't need any contact from me. I didn't announce it, I just cut them off for five years. Then they were a lot more sympathetic to the truth.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Not if they’re butting in without your asking or permission. Showing concern and giving advice is totally fine, and it’s sweet that they care. But if they’re going overboard and getting really involved in the situation and just generally making things difficult for you, then you might want to let them know that they need to back off. Support is important, but there are boundaries that need to be respected.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think is normal and I don’t approve of that behavior. A relationship is between two people only. No more, no less!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It's definitely not good. And usually one of the many reasons that can destroy a relationship. People minding their own business. BUT boundaries need to be set. Otherwise it won't stop.

0|0
    0|0
  • I stay out of my families business as much as possible because a lot I just dont need in my life. Lots of drama and lots of stuff I just dont care for.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. And if they did I would tell them to mind their own business.

The only thing that's acceptable is giving a calm, different point of view and genuine advice. But that's about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Be wise and don't tell everything that happens in your relationship. They don't need to know every detail and some things should stay between you and your partner.

0|0
    0|0
  • No thats your life, and its yours to deal with. Not your parents.

Leave them to deal with their own stuff

0|0
    0|0
  • My family never gets involved. My mom didn't even know about my last boyfriend, but they are not interested either

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. We support and encourage each other. When I seek advise I can get it from my mum or my sister.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not unless you seek advice or counselling from them

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Not their businees.
    Its ur life.
    They either r supportive or they donot interfere

0|0
    0|0
  • No it shouldn’t be any of their business it’s your love life not theirs

0|0
    0|0
  • I have a few relatives who like to start shit

2|1
    0|0
  • Definitely normal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ya it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. That's why you don't involve them in it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes