Friends with Benefits.. is this normal or is this him being jealous/territorial?

Had an intimate relationship with an older friend for 6 months a couple years ago. He’d claim he’d want things casual.. no strings. When three different friends of his attempted to be nice to me.. he’d act weird/defensive. He moved back home later that year in the fall but after one of his friends went to add me on social media.. his response was who added who and when I told him.. he responded with he didn’t tell me that. I heard about it again the following month but when I told him that I removed his friend off my page.. he acted like it wasn’t a big deal. A year later at Christmas time I was at the mall shopping and his friend was there. We exchanged pleasantries and he suggested the three of us should hang out. I knew that wasn’t a good idea but shrugged it off. The two of them talked about it because when I brought it up.. my friends response was “depends if he’s with me when I’m in town”.. he’d been traveling over Christmas and I hadn’t heard from him so when I found out he told his friend to tell me hi and he’d been trying to call me.. that felt like guy code or his way to tell his friend to “back off”.. we’ve had a few nice visits since.. my friend and I with the last being a couple months ago and he brought me cookies but with his weird behavior.. just wondering if this is dog and fire hydrant behavior.. as in he’s staking a claim.. or just usual male behavior. The back and forth is confusing.. ultimately just wondering if I’m reading the jealous/territorial right or if I’m off base about it. I’ve heard that once territorial always territorial so since this has happened since he’s moved.. just looking for insight.

11