I didn't trust my girlfriend and my lack of trust hurt her and made her unsure about us. How do I fix it?

Hello everyone,

About 2 1/2 months ago, I was bored and changed my location on a dating app just for fun. I met a girl in China. Soon after she was my girlfriend without ever having met in person.

Fast-forward 2 months and we are planning to meet. I am paying for her flight to me in the UK as she makes very little money while I make quite a decent amount.

A series of events hmade me question her motives. I won't be specific, but they are legitimately suspicious even to my friends, I wasn't just paranoid. For a little bit, I didn't trust her and thought she is dating me for money and my friends warned me to be careful and that she sounds like a scammer who might take my money and block me after I transfer them.

Still, I trusted her and transferred her the money. She lost some of it immediatelly due to an automatic payment for a bill she forgot about and we were gonna suddenly delay again. That made it sound like if I want to meet her I still want to send her more. That's when I made the mistake to accuse her of being a scammer. I questioned why she always needed more money from me.

I calmed down and apologized. I sent her the remainder of the money but the next day she suddenly broke down in tears (over phone) and wanted my bank account info so she can send the money back. She told me she feels like a terrible person and that she doesn't want to put pressure on me. That she wants to return it and not use my money anymore. I knew what I had done. I've apologized but she won't budge.

She says she understands why I said it, but still feels terrible. She feels like a fool for working more overtime for more money so we can meet. She's going to another country for the first time for someone she met online. That she wants to try to start over and get to know each other better.

I regret everything I said. trust her. I want her to come. It will be at least 2 months before I can go to her and I'm afraid we won't last that long. What do I do?

11