Can a girl get out of "just a friend with benefits"?

so I had been seriously interested in a guy for years.
then one night we hung out, and drank and smoked and ended up doing the dirty.. now it is a regular basis thing... but! I have feelings for him.. NOT because the sex. I had them years prior.
I did end up confessing these feelings for him and he replied with:"oh. awesome."

which I know this don't sound so promising as I have made myself easy for him, and most guys get turned off from that but..
he travels an hr to pick me up. then back to his place, then he brings me home. so he dedicates a good 4hrs out of a day to see me. He sometimes rushes his Friends to go home to hang out, and or hook up with me (a few times we all hung out together).. which lately has been 2-5x a week. and we both work and have school so he usually is busy, so it seems as if he dedicates a lot of his free time for and with me (via: FT, Snap, or IRL).. (or do guys tend to do that?) now he wants to hangout andor hook up more within the week? but it has been a good 4mths, why now? and why would he put this time and gas money for that each time? I mean i'm not sure but we can all assume he is talking or hooking up with others.. so why would he put this much time into me when he may (or may not) have others who are more convenient, better looking, and with more experience?
he tells me: he does care, he finds me cute, and that he can be comfortable around me and that I am good company because he can just relax. etc. He sometimes FT me just because he "misses" me, needs to tell me about his day, while he is high//drunk, or simply to fall asleep with.
so does it seem possible he can over see me as a friends with benefits or.. am I over looking things with more hope than I should, and realize he is doing and saying thy typical for just a guy that sees you as a hook up? (because I'm not dumb.. I know guys will tell you what you wanna hear to stay.. but? why would he go through so much just for what he must see me as "a hoe" (which I'm not)
5
5