Guys; should I be ashamed of being a virgin?

I'm a 22 year old virgin and that's partly by choice.

I've recently finished a college course where I got essentially bullied (feels weird to say that at my age in a college environment) about how I haven't had sex yet at my age. One of my three tutors being the worst for it: telling me to shut up because i'm a virgin, that I only have 8 years before I become a "wizard" and how i'll probably die alone. (not sure why it's any of his business, but that college course is behind me now).

Truth is: if it wasn't for the social expectations of "you need to have sex to fit in" I wouldn't really care that much. That's not to say that I don't want to ever have sex, but i'd rather it be with a partner than: "come on man! She'd usually be out of your league; you gotta do her! this could be your only chance!". My tutor made the point that if you have sex with 30 people then you don't care about your first and I understand what he's trying to say, but I'd feel more comfortable and probably enjoy it more if it was more about an expression of love with someone I care about rather done to just simply punch my V-card.

I'd much rather work on myself first: I have severe anxiety and am finally finding the courage to go out and talk to strangers; I attend social anxiety meet ups with others who have the same issues. I also attend the gym regularly in the hopes of toning into a body that I not only think will be more physically attractive, but also give me more confidence. That's not to say that I can't do this and have a relationship, but it just isn't that big a deal for me right now. I have had girls tell me they have feelings for me and while flattered, I just didn't feel the same.

So, should I feel bad about any of that?
Feel bad!
It's cool.
GirlGuy
2