Do you believe that the goal of an intimate relationship is to trust your partner enough so that you can reveal your vulnerability to them?

When I use the expression "intimate relationship," most of you automatically thought of a sexual relationship. Of course, if you are in a committed, romantic relationship and you are both physically capable, sex is probably one of the things that you want from the relationship. Perhaps you also want children and some measure of security. But. . . you can have sex, children, and financial security in a relationship and still not feel safe, secure, and emotionally intimate.

Do you think that the greatest goal of an intimate relationship is to learn to trust each other enough that you can reveal the things that make you vulnerable and trust that you will receive a supportive and understanding response?
No; I am not revealing my vulnerability to anyone. . . never!
No; I have never trusted anyone else enough to make myself vulnerable
No; I once trusted someone in that way and they used it against me
Vote C
No; I've seen other people do that and it didn't work, so I'll learn from their mistakes
Vote D
Yes, I've never had the experience but I want to have a partner that I trust that much
Vote E
Yes, I've had the experience and my partner never used it against me
Vote F
Yes, I've had the experience and my partner did use it against me but I'll try again and hopefully choose a better partner
Vote G
GirlGuy
1 mo
I am NOT suggesting becoming comfortable with revealing your vulnerability is the ONLY goal of a relationship. What I am suggesting is that if you do achieve that goal, all of the other goals will easily be within reach.
14
21