Have you ever been in a relationship and realized that your partner is an alcoholic?

Users under 30 probably will not understand this picture!
But it's only a glass of wine!
But it's only a glass of wine!
My current relationship is probably coming to an inglorious end because of my girlfriend's abuse of alcohol. We have dated since February, 2018 and lived together since July, 2018. She has never hid her use of alcohol and I am not opposed to anyone drinking responsibly. I occasionally enjoy a mixed drink myself. Early in the relationship, I minimized the significance of some warning signs and now I regret having done so. Over the past 6 months, her use of alcohol has increased significantly and I have tried to discuss this with her but she maintains a resolute denial that alcohol presents any problems for her, or us.

Over the past two years, she has been terminated from two jobs. I don't know if alcohol was a factor in those dismissals. She has procrastinated tremendously on matters that have some importance and significance. Most importantly, she developed alcoholic gastritis which led to malnutrition which led to 12 days in the hospital and complications from which she is still recovering.

I have begged her to control her drinking. I have offered to stop drinking if she does. I have suggested counselling. Nothing has worked. I finally gave her an ultimatum; I was virtually certainly that would end the relationship but it was the only remaining option. Now we are discussing the terms of her moving out and moving on with our lives.

Have you ever been in a relationship and discovered that your partner was an alcoholic? Did you experience the frustration and anger that comes with living with an alcoholic? Did it end horribly or do you have a happier story about your experience?
I have never been in a relationship
I have been in a relationship but never had an alcoholic partner
I have been in a relationship and had some suspicions but never determined whether they were an alcoholic
Vote C
I have been in a relationship with an alcoholic. They refused to change and I left the relationship.
Vote D
I have been in a relationship with an alcoholic. They refused to change and I stayed hoping for the best.
Vote E
I have been in a relationship with an alcoholic. They agreed to change but did not actually stop drinking.
Vote F
I have been in a relationship with an alcoholic. They agreed to change, actually stopped drinking, and everything worked out well.
Vote G
GirlGuy
16
28