If he wants a break does he even love me anymore?

My boyfriend of almost 1 year asked me for a break a week before our 1 year anniversary, a couple of days after I had already given him his gifts for the 1 year. He claimed that he still loves me but that he built up a wall in his heart after his last bad relationship, and now everything I do for him "falls on deaf ears." He also said "I love you, but I feel like i can't love you right now." We agreed on a break, and he said "i just need a break from everything to focus on myself exclusively... and then we go back to how we were."

Is this even genuine? Whenever I've been dealing with personal issues, I've wanted him by my side, never for a second doubted that I loved him. I never felt like I need space from him, I love him. So I don't know if this is an actual excuse and i should trust him and give him space and he'll come back, or if he's just trying to break up.
6
1