Is it better to be the wife or other woman?

Anonymous
I had been seeing this narcissistic guy for over a year. I got love bombed and gas lighted by him on too many occasions. He basically told me he wanted marriage and a family and to settle down with me. Fast forward we ended up becoming friends with benefits. He never backed up anything he said.

I eventually found out he had a girlfriend who he recently proposed to. Basically he was using me for sex and to cheat on her for over a year.

Mind you we were having unprotected sex because allegedly he wanted a serious relationship and family with me. All lies.

Well, I ended things with him yesterday when I found out I was the other woman and that he has a fiance.

My guy friend told me I dodged a bullet with this guy and that I'm the fortunate one in this situation.

Is this true? Or, is it always better to be the wife or girlfriend even if your guy is cheating on you? Or, am I better off because I know his real character?

I just feel hurt in this situation and trying to make sense of things.
1
1