Why would someone would go out of their way to criticize you , and treat you like they are so much better than you?

Anonymous
Hi 👋🏼. I’m 19 years old. I had dated a guy who was a complete mistake. He tried to make me feel worst in any type of way. He failed in the military and didn’t have a job and no college plans. He would always put me down and never wanted me to achieve anything. He would always put me down and made it seem like I was such a low life. One time he said “I always tried to avoid people like you” . Once I told him I was starting community college classes and he told me “Try not to end up in remedial classes”. He use to play in instrument in high school and I told him I use to play the violin from 4th to 7th grade and even showed him the violin and he looked like he was mad that I told him. Whenever we got into an argument , he always tried to have the last word and tried to intimidate me. One time I told him I might have to spend an extra year in college just to get the credits that I needed and instead of supporting me , he said “Most people can finish it quicker” and he said I didn’t have thick skin to be a lawyer. I told him so far I’ve been receiving Bs in college (I’m working to try to get an A) and instead of saying he was proud of me , he just said “why you didn’t get an A?” . He would sometimes tried to stand over me and look down at me when we would have an argument. One time, I said he was arrogant and narcissistic and an ***. He tried to play the victim as if I’m the one who always criticized him and he just takes it. He would always constantly say “I don’t care what you think of me”. Another time , we was at a friends graduation cookout and apparently a friend of his (who was a 21 year old female who said she slept with 15 men in her life) , told him he could’ve did better than me. He tells me about a year later. I was like “why would you tell me that” and he said “I didn’t think it would bother you since it was a year ago”. He would throw stuff up in my face that he did that I didn’t do like AP classes.
4
1