Am I doing the right thing to try to get over the feelings I have for a friend?

Anonymous
hello, I've decided to take a break from a friendship I have as I have developed feelings for them but these are not returned. we won't be seeing each other physically until next year at uni, and we agreed that we wouldn't text or call for a couple of months to allow me to get over him. however, i'm finding this extremely difficult, i'm ashamed to say how much i've cried because i miss talking to him so much, it feels like a part of my life is missing (and i guess it is, we've spoken everyday, all day since we met). nothing is distracting me from thinking about him. i just wondered, am i doing the right thing by not talking to him? will it really help me get over him, as right now it seems hopeless. but i know if i kept talking to him, there's the possibility these feelings will stay and grow stronger, and i don't know how i'll cope if i still have feelings and he gets into a new relationship. so i guess my question is, does not talking to someone really help you get over them, or should i risk starting to talk to them again, as i'm so sad without them (i don't have many close friends at uni, he's the only person i feel i can talk to anything about which is why this is so hard for me)
5
1