How should I tell my boyfriend that I got a new car after he totaled his and insisted I buy a used one?

Anonymous
I got my license a year ago, and have only ever driven my parents’ old cars.

My boyfriend has kept saying I need a car, but to only get one that’s at least 2 years old. Whenever I mentioned a new one, he’d get irritated and say “You better not. You haven’t been driving long and you’ll probably crash it. I don’t want to be right.”

My boyfriend recently got a 2017 Honda Civic and totaled it after a few months falling asleep at the wheel.

Since graduating, I got a job where I make $76,000 and I lived with my parents to save money. I now have $45,000 in stocks and saved a couple thousand to put a down payment on the car.

I just negotiated to get my dream car, a brand new 2020 Honda Civix EX-T for $21,500 (MSRP $24,500) and an interest rate of 1.9%.

The monthly payments are $371.70 (car) and $240 (insurance).

I never have a problem paying my debts and I have my finances all outlined. I got gap insurance just in case I total it.

I’m not sure how to tell my boyfriend. He’ll probably be jealous because he totaled his car. And he repeatedly told me I better not get a new car. I was going to just surprise him and drive up with it. Should I just do that?
1 y
If he asks how much it was, should I just not tell him? because he’ll act annoyed.
4
1