Should I propose or wait for him to?

Aliceinwonderland22
I have always thought myself traditional when it comes to proposal... when I was younger... I wanted to meet someone, fall in love and they would get another knees and I would tear up and say yes... I was a teenager and I enjoyed soppy romance novels...

My partner to me is perfect; kind, funny and supportive beyond what I feel I could ever deserve; and he is the person I can imagine marrying, buying a house together, having a family and growing old together... and despite only dating a year and a bit so far, I knew he was the one I wanted to be with when we first started dating as he was one of my best friends before that and I cared about him dearly and always wanted him to be happy... sorry for the soppyness on my part...

Marriage is something we have talked about for th future, however it was always some fantasy in my head that may happen in the future... but really it was because I wasn't ready for that...
But I had a realisation a couple months ago that I want to marry this man

Well the problem comes down to this... a while back, I made some big thing about being traditional when it comes to things...
And my partner is one for not wanting someone to take his lime light when he does things...
Second, just because I know I'll be ready doesn't make him ready, and while we are very open with eachother, this is not a high priority in terms of conversations
Third, I am currently reliant on my father financially, and such i am stuck doing what he wants till I can get a job when I've finished my training. (Which means I couldn't marry my boyfriend till after that)

I also need to keep in mind that we are both postgraduate students, training for our careers and personally I would rather he focus on training towards being a lecturer than have to think about marriage... I'm not having him take his mind off his dreams, they are important to him and therefore me...

So do I make a move, or do I wait till he asks me so I dont step on his toes and also know he is ready?
Should I propose or wait for him to?
4
2