Do you believe in relationships there must be truth, whether it's good, bad, or ugly?

AmandaYVR
Men: True or false: You want the truth, whether it's good, bad, or ugly?

Ladies: 1. Do you want the same? (that's complicated, I know.)
But here's my real question to you, ladies... Do you/will you give the guys this, since that's what they say they want? Or do you believe it's not a good idea?
Do you believe in relationships there must be truth, whether its good, bad, or ugly?
Now, on the surface, I presume that just about all of you would answer, essentially, 'yes, truth is necessity in good relationships.' But what about raw, unfiltered, sometimes emotionally-heavy, unclear truths? The ones that feel true in that moment, but may or may not change?

Take a look at this beautiful exchange between a couple. I really like both people.

Woman asks man: "What kinds of things make you feel wanted and special?"

Man's answer: "The simple fact that I can be direct, I can be completely honest, you're going to tell me the truth, whether it's good, bad, or ugly. And the fact that we mesh really well, we discuss all the things upfront that I think we really need to discuss up front. Which is, I think, everybody's end goal, to have somebody that you can be a better you for yourself. You make me a better me. That's all it is. The sky's the limit, as long as you're with me."

You see how the man's wording is a bit harsher than what a woman would likely choose? But he said it in a loving tone. There was no aggression behind it at all. But the sentiment is one that I've heard many males utter, especially when angry, or in times of conflict.

As a side note, I also like that the woman asked him what he needs, what he wants, in a relationship (basically what she can do for him) and he answered her question, but in a slightly different way. He's not looking for gestures or gifts, etc. To him, the gift is her honesty and him being able to discuss the hard subjects with her, without her avoiding or shutting down.
That is really the subtext of this text.

Thoughts?
I believe in the phrase 'In relationships there must be truth, whether it's good, bad, or ugly.'
I don't believe in the phrase. 'In relationships there must be truth, whether it's good, bad, or ugly.' I think it's more complicated than that.
GirlGuy
1 y
People, this is NOT ABOUT LIES. You are always fixated on the idea of a blatant lie. This is not what this is about.

Read my reply to b5fan if you want some clarification.
I am responding to some individuals now.
52
14