Why can't my boyfriend ever talk with me about the problems we have, especially when I get emotional about it?

Anonymous
We have been together for a little over 4 years. We have had a lot of ups and downs. He can't ever seem to be able to talk to me without getting upset, or bringing past issues up. Or he just shuts down completely and won't talk, won't respond to texts, or calls. He says he will work on his communication and he understands thats very important to me, but every single time I get emotional about something between us, he turns into a different person, sometimes just being mean. Lately he's been mocking me when im crying talking about how I feel. He is under a lot of stress, but so am i. I dont understand how he can say he loves me and wants this to work, then the next day or week, he shuts me out or seems to get so defensive for no reason. If I express that i want quality time with him, i feel lonely cause he's out of town a lot, he turns it into "you dont think this is hard on me too? ".
6
1