Didn't like the gift boyfriend gave me, was I wrong for asking for an exchange?

Anonymous
Long story short, my boyfriend got me a VERY expensive item for Christmas this year... It's a luxury brand that is very well known and spoken highly of... The gift symbolizes something that is special to our relationship except I literally can't use this gift for anything other than for it to sit on a shelf and collect dust. I like more practical gifts and while I appreciate the meaning behind the gift, it's a pretty useless item and I can't do anything with it. It cost more than $600... There are a lot of things he could get me for much cheaper that could be put to good use. I told him in a VERY nice way that I would like to exchange it for something more practical and cheaper and he got very upset with me and called me ungrateful and unappreciative. Am I in the wrong? How do I go about this?
4
4