My ex boyfriend and I have been seeing each other and he is abrupt and cold on the phone to me when he’s with friends, should I be concerned?

Anonymous
Some of his friends now know we’re back to seeing each other, and others don’t so yesterday I know he was with his friends. He’d said he would let me know if he could still meet me and then when I called him to check he was just like “tomorrow” and the conversation was over, no actual statement like today is looking busy, I can’t come over. Let’s talk after work tomorrow. He didn’t want his friends knowing we’re seeing each other again for the 5th time. But when I asked him why he was so abrupt like that, he said because him and his friends banter is really rude to each other and he didn’t want to be the target of the night if they knew we were back to seeing each other. I think it’s the fact we go back on and off to seeing each other. He said it’s nothing about me, but it would be really rude banter and he didn’t want to go through it.
Am I overreacting in getting upset over this and taking it personally? I just didn’t like being cut short or him acting differently and abrupt/cold towards me just because he’s with his friends.
2
1