I know he's not right for me and that we won't work out, but I can't seem to get over him. What do I do?

Anonymous
I've had a crush on one of my closest friends for quite a while now, and all my friends are against it. Around a year and a half ago, when we were still friends but not as close, he told me liked me and had for two years (I didn't feel the same way at the time). I've always been travelling but, since the start of lockdown, I've been in my hometown - where he stays. We've been able to get a lot closer and, in the process, I've realised I have feelings for him - my timing isn't the best, I know. He isn't always the most positive guy, but he makes me laugh and I can be myself around him because he knows me. However, we have completely different values and ideas about important issues... we recently got into a conversation and he said something homophobic, which is what led me here. He's been flirting with me as usual, but I'm not sure if it's just him having fun or if there's actually a possibility he feels the same. Either way, my friends don't approve because they think I deserve better, but I disagree. My parents have also observed that he isn't always the nicest to everyone and can be a little condescending at times. Initially, I didn't want to get over him because he seemed to be making an effort, but after having many discussions and him saying something homophobic, I know I need to, but I'm not sure how, since we talk almost everyday.
1
1