Is Marriage about love or just working well together in a legal contract?

Dragonpurple
A little background to this question, I got married at 22 and it was horrible, we got divorced after which I had some severe Post Traumatic stress and major depression. I had been manipulated so badly and used so much. My ex wanted a sugar daddy but couldn't admit it (she can now, on husband number 5 who is way older than her.) along with cheating on me with a so called best friend and other crap I won't go into.

Anyhow fast forward a few years, I was setup on a blind date by a friend and we didn't really hit it off, we had nothing in common but we got along alright. We were not dating exclusively.

I had made friends with a co-worker I met right before this blind date and we started hanging out a lot and hit off like crazy. I never thought anything would come of it. She was bossy, sweet and unstable, I needed stability after my ex.

We never did date officially but we hung out a lot as friends, we spent a lot of time together. We went to dinners together, movies and got drunk together. We would each pay for ourselves at first, then it moved on to I pay this time you next time to it didn't matter who paid. We spent Valentines together 13 years ago and I've never forgotten her. She even introduced me to her mother and her mom made me dinner.

It was probably more than just friends but she did not want to change the official status of our relationship. I asked her if she wanted to and she got mad and said we don't need to have a DTR talk, things are just fine. This was the ONE time I would have given up stability for her, after that I didn't try anymore.

Eventually my future wife proposed to me and I said yes and let the love of my life slip away.

The love of my life died last month, as such it tore me apart with grief that I did not expect. On Valentines day I visited her grave, left her a Valentine... she never married. I often wonder if I made the wrong choice or if it matters, even so I didn't come to these realizations until it was far too late.
3
3