If you are in love with your best friend, should you cut off contact with them?

Anonymous
I've been in love with my best friend for a while now. we live in the same building and hang out every day even if it's just for dinner or studying. He knows I at least like him and is fairly considerate. but since lockdown is ending soon he approached me with the "if I start to date someone would you want to know about it or not?" question. I told him id rather he tell me than keep a secret and also shared the fact that I'm worried if he got a girlfriend that he would eventually cut all contact with me. He said that even if a girl ever asked that of him he would end things with her but I am not so naive to believe that.
I haven't stopped replaying that conversation in my head for some time and I think it could be unhealthy to stay in this friendship knowing how hurt I could be in the end. Even though it is none of his fault. But I obviously value him as a friend greatly. I've never been in this situation before so please leave your advice. It is such a big choice to make
3
3