Have You Ever Ignored Red Flags When Pursuing a Friendship/Romantic Relationship or while in a Friendship/Romantic Relationship?

etexbearkat
I certainly have, and it ended up with me almost losing my job. What happened is I was pursuing a friendship with this girl at work I had no business pursuing a friendship with, and in the end I gave her a hug she didn't want me to because I ended up misreading a situation, which is something I deeply regret. There were plenty of red flags I ignored. Among the red flags I ignored:
  • Her age (I was 24, she was 18 at the time, almost 19; I had no business trying to be friends with a girl that young, and I still don't)
  • She refused to accept my friend request on Facebook. At the time, I didn't think anything of it, but today I have no idea why I didn't take this a clue.
  • I didn't give her a chance to prove I could trust her.
  • I ignored my own gut feelings that I shouldn't have been pursuing a friendship with her.
  • I ignored the nervousness I felt when she would come over to the area where I worked. I now know that was a sign I should have stopped pursuing the friendship.

I have since apologized to her for what happened, and asked her to forgive me, and I deeply regret my actions. I was so enamored with becoming friends with this girl, I completely ignored the red flags listed above. If you have ignored red flags when pursuing a friendship/romantic relationship, or while in a friendship/romantic relationship, and you are comfortable posting what the red flags were, please feel free to mention what those red flags you missed were.
9 mo
I'm 30 now, and all of this took place when I was 24. I've definitely grown from what happened, and it's made me a better person, and in fact, it's helped me avoid the same pitfalls with my best friend, who just happens to be female (however, my best friend is older than I am by more than two years).
2
6