Boyfriend cheated a year ago but still need help understanding something?

Anonymous
About a year ago my I found out my boyfriend was cheating on me. Broke up then took him back. But long story short. He messaged this girl (he was drunk) telling her he was falling for her. I asked if he loved her why doesn’t he just go be with her blah blah. He said he doesn’t love her and never will and that he was stupid drunk when he wrote that text. Its been a year and I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around this. How can you tell someone you love them and not mean it. He’s been very very patient with me on everything. He’s doing whatever I need to help make me feel secure. He’s cut ties with her point blank. As for that message he said he doesn’t know what to say and that she means nothing to him and that he was drunk. Can someone help me understand this a little more. Usually drunk words are sober though are they not? I just want the truth or maybe I’m looking for some type of reason. How do I know if she was his first choice but she turned him down so he’s choosing me as back up you know.
1 y
Need help understanding how he doesn’t love her when he told her he did.
3
2