Why can’t we talk without bickering?

Anonymous
Hello. I have a bit of a situation and I need advice. I had a best friend that I eventually developed feelings for. He lead me on and even told me to wait for him because he wasn’t ready. Two weeks later I learned from a friend that he was having a secret relationship with another girl and he was hiding it from me. This hurt me and i told him I needed space. We stopped talking for a while but we decided that our friendship was too valuable to let it die. We continued our friendship and it was going well until we got into an argument about what happened. He again told me to wait for him and that “if it’s meant to be it’ll be.” This made me very angry and I told him no. We ended the conversation by saying we still wanted to save the friendship however lately it’s been hard to have a conversation without bickering and I feel that he’s been more harsh with me. Whenever I bring up that fact that he’s being mean, he calls me sensitive. He is still with the other girl which hurts and he recently made it public which brought up old feelings of hurt and betrayal. I want to save the friendship and he’s expressed that he doesn’t want to lose our friendship either but it’s been very hard. How can I save this friendship? Or is this friendship too far gone?
Why can’t we talk without bickering?
Add Opinion