"Christian negates his own morality"?

Interesting video and short (15 minutes) ideas? Refutations?

124

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Ooo! Interesting point... I like it. Huh. I never thought of Christian morality (or any holy book-based morality) in that way before. It's actually incredibly astute.

I, too, will be very interested to see if anyone on gag can refute this point they've made. It's actually brilliant. lol.

P. S. I watched the video to the end... DAMN! Like, for real? lol. Gunna try to blame a CHILD RAPE VICTIM for their own rape? Like, fuck off. What a piece of trash. Actually, no, trash can be burned for energy or possibly even recycled, thus doing a service to the world. That guy should just be shot and buried.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 23

• I like the sensationalism of the title. But It's interesting that the intellectuals that atheists hail as the kings of their ideology don't tend to do so well in the public sphere of philosophy. They do better targeting average nobodies without much theory behing their ideology. But tend to fail attrociously when they meet philosophers of the other side that actually know what they're talking about.

The caller doesn't hold a belief that I or Christianity teaches as the moral standard, so it's kinda interesting that that clip was chosen as the means of refuting it. I don't think most atheists even know what the christian basis of morality is to begin with

Atheists usually do better at "refuting" christians when neither of them know much as most atheists can just answer they "lack" any given idea or the need for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKt2NPbTHM0

• Are you saying that the physicist and cosmologist Lawrence Krauss should also be a remarkable philosopher? Especially when he doesn't care at all about philosophy? 🤣

• Here's a youtube channel that I know you'll love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpPk4WLBcTM&t=24s

• @Partywithtom Oh so you think you're well versed in theology, eh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfuXk1HPgPA

• Haha! HIlarious. This is not based on a mature understanding of "Faith". Our understanding of what is moral cannot possibly compare to the God's morality. The Bible even says, "your righteousness is like dirty rags to Me".

These people are claiming that blind obedience to God is not moral. That is based on what we think morality is. Look around the world, we are not a "moral" race. So I find the video laughable. And this poor guy who is attempting to be Christian is trying to defend his "faith" by using their definitions of morality.

Poor guy. He doesn't know he has only been tricked by semantics gurus and word smiths.

• If you don't morally evaluate claims you're not a moral agent... that's pretty much by definition

• @Skadouchebag I just wanted to thank you. Brilliant, funny, and very, very good.

• you should check out my deviantart journal in addition to that channel keep in mind that all quotes unless otherwise stated come from C. S. Lewis): sin-and-love.deviantart.com/journal/?offset=40

• The Bible is too full contradictions: God says , "Thou shalt not kill" but kills all Egyptian first born boys and orders a genocide of Midianites, Amalekites and several other peoples.

Morality is based on empathy and self interest: "do not unto others..."

• @Skadouchebag because you said "2) You do realize that Christian Clergy make far less money than any other profession of their level of education, right?"

• @MlleCake ah, thanks. well in that case, I don't see how that's relevant, since people don't do that anymore.

• "An accusation always implies a standard. ... You call a person cruel or idle because you have in mind a standard of kindness or diligence. And while you are making the accusation you have to accept the standard as a valid one. If you begin to doubt the standard you automatically doubt the cogency of your accusation... If nothing is [inherently] right, then of course it follows that nothing is [inherently] wrong... If a brute and Blackguard made the world, then he also made our minds. if he made our minds, he also made that very standard in them whereby we judge him to be a brute and blackguard. And how can we trust a standard which comes from such a brutal and blackguardly source? If we reject him, we ought to reject all his works. But one of his works is this very moral standard by which we reject him. If we accept this standard then we are really implying that he is not a Brute and Blackguard. If we reject it, then we have thrown away the only instrument by which we can condemn him." --C. S. Lewis

• This argument implies that one can only accuse someone of being evil only when they have a sense of absolute morality. I don't have to believe in universally good or bad things to still tell what is right from what is wrong, at least for me. God killing babies every day via floods, fires, earthquakes and diseases is a clear indication of him not being good. By my subjective standards at least.
      And to say that we can't judge based on standards that he himself gave us implies that you assume he exists in the first place, something I do not assume so the argument is void.

• If death isn't bad because we get to go to heaven dose that mean it's okay for me to come round your gaff with an AK47 and wipe out your family, would you be okay with me doing that?

• @Bezbozhnikustanka whom are you asking that?

• Dude got destroyed cuz he didn't know what he was talking about!!

However,

As a God believer, I think God's morals are not like our own, so trying to judge whether it's right or not is pointless.
    God created morals so he can add anything he wants. What is respectful is that he follows his own morals.
    When the devil controlled the earth because of Adam and Eve fruit eating. He could've said, "fuck it" wiped it clean and start again, but he played the long game to bore Jesus to basically put a smack down on the devil.

Jesus went to hell, kick its ass and came back 3 days later. Jesus is DOOM guy!! (Game Theory)

• doing what god said does not make you moral. At best it renders you a-moral. You are giving up your decisions about morality to a book that is claimed to come from a god.

And christians who do good because they want to go to heaven can never be truly morally virtuous because they are simply trying to get something (whether it is something real or not is irrelevant, the point is they believe it to be). A morally virtuous action is taken without threat of punishment or offer of reward.

Thus, someone who follows the dictates of a book based on the unsubstantiated claim that the book is derived from a god, has given up their moral reasoning and morality.

• @skadouchebag

I'm just going to agree to disagree if you tell me that you completely accept and embrace god's character no matter what and that he cannot be judged by you. I was under the impression that we were discussing god's character, but if that's just not up for discussion then I just don't see this dialogue as very productive.

If that's not the case, I'm more than happy to continue.

@jacquesvol My man, I love what you're saying but please cool it on the memes.

Also, it's best that we stay on topic. Please don't drag this into the age old "Is god real?" question. We're just about to get into the bones of whether or not the Abrahamic god is someone of high character or not.

• IF the Abrahamic god is to be judged by the Bible and the Quran he's not.

• @jacquesvol well that's something we can agree on. after all, a lot of other historical documents are like that too. Th Art of War has Sun Tzu decapitating people on page one.

• the bible exposes humanity for all that it is.

• I've actually checked out a couple of these videos before.

• Have you watched this one? What do you think of it?

• @Skadouchebag If sin exists because of free will, there is none in heaven because sin doesn't exist there.

• .. or maybe it's just that the sort who *would* choose to sin don't wind up there in the first place?

• At least it doesn't promote child brides, suicide bombers, beheadings, and the maiming of hands and feet. Islam and Muslims are way fucking worse. Yeah, religion is all man made. Some are just worse than others. Only a Muslim could call a torturer and a pedophile a prophet of "Allah". Idiots.

• The OT literally tells them to take virgins as slaves... you don't think they had sex with them? 🤣🤣

• Not that the Old testament is true, but it is just a "historical" account. It is not behavior from a prophet to be emulated as it is in Islam. Jews simply have to obey about 613 pointless laws called mitzvot. Yes, many of them are stupid and pointless.

• 🤣🤣 fuck me sideways
      I'm sorry man, you're killing me. I appreciate it. Have a good one mate

• I'm too uninterested to watch. I used to watch those dudes (cant remember their name) all the time. My thoughts on Christianity as a whole are very simple: There is no good proof of their God, and their holy book seems to contradict itself a lot. There are also many unanswered questions that are very important. As of right now, I don't think its rational to accept Christianity.

• There are hundreds of books addressing these so-called "contradictions," that reveal them to not actually conflict at all.

Also, there is proof of *a* God / god by virtue of the fact that we have a rationally-governed universe that has laws. All of which implies a law-giver and governor.

What's irrational, is to believe that there is no order to anything, and that everything happened for no reason whatsoever at random.

• @Skadouchebag I agree wholeheartedly. Science tells us how.

Religion/Philosophy tell us why.

Let each discipline do what it does best.

• I used to watch this on youtube when I was in that phase of losing my faith for good.

• It's all hypothetical, so it's a completely meaningless debate. Also none of them knows what they are talking about. I knew I shouldn't have watched it.

Nonetheless, note the way the poster puts his own spin on the video by use of the title. It's kind of like "Hillary Destroys Trump in Debate". Wait, did somebody die?

• 0|0
  • I love listening to this bald guy everytime :)

• I could find better morals in the Rick James bible than the Christian bible.

• I'm guessing you haven't done a lot of research on the subject, have you? Were you aware of the sorts of things the Canaanites were doing, for example? sin-and-love.deviantart.com/.../The-religious-practices-of-the-Canaanites-562431845

• @Skadouchebag
      2) New Testament was written in Greek, not old Testament. We're talking about virgin birth, aka virgin Mary, aka Jesus, aka New Testament. Not Old Testament.
      3) A YouTube playlist is a scholarly article?
      4) Newsfeed is a scholarly article?
      5) I actually can't link you to the scholarly article website I know of because the site requires you to be a student at a university to access the articles. If you are a student you can check EBSCO Host because that's my source for when I researched the Jesus myth in college. And yes, I did a whole damn report on Jesus debunking the idea that he was a real historical figure. I know it's a plagiarism.
      "because I've never read that (or the crucifixion) in any of the Egyptian mythology I read as a kid" So you're just gonna trust your memory as a kid versus history books?

• 2) really then? you know, I can't help but notice that you keep making lots of claims, but you never bother to actually back them up in any way. I mean for all I know you could just be pulling this stuff out of your arse (and before you mention the pictures you've been linking me to, do you happen to know anything about who *made* those pictures?)
      3) Well no, but the guy who made the videos writes scholarly articles all the time, and for newspapers at that. the videos are really just the same information but presented in a form less likely to bore you.
      4) Indeed it is not, but it's the only relevant and credible search result I could find for "Bible virgin mistranslation".
      5) Oh? and what's the name of the university?
      6) what history books?

• I didn't watch the video but who cares if people want to believe in Christianity or what not. It gives people hope so I'd say that a good thing.

• So let me make sure I understand. The question is "what do you think about the video" and your answer is "I didn't watch the video." Well aren't you a turd in the punch bowl.
      And if you'd watch the video you can see one of the possible consequences. Some Christians (like the one in the video) end up having to sell their humanity for this belief. For example the guy at the end of the call argued that children deserve to be raped because they're born in sin (paraphrased, but that's the idea.)

• @Skadouchebag what, are you asking for bad religious people? Or good atheists? What're you asking for

• @ladsin Well your comments seem t have implied that you think nothing good comes out of religion or religious people. I was demonstrating otherwise

• People make up their own reasons. The trick is not letting others to impose their morality on you

• just wait.. the Christians are going to spank all of the atheists from this website, they will try to claim it for their deity

• Cool.

• Since when have atheists ever been morally superior?

• Just shows there's a difference between Ethics and Morals. Well, duh.

• Christianity teaches love for all.

• @jacquesvol people would still invent excuses to ignore evidence no matter how much was provided.

• the problem is that people are too dumb to understand the bible... Jesus talks in parables... stories with meanings... you aren't supposed to take things literally... also you need to understand the time he said these things... because definitions change... for example. adam and eve was a story not reality... but i love how you atheists like to shit on religion get something better to do..