Should religious morality be legislated?

I think I've asked a similar question before, but after some recent conversations I'd be interested in seeing what the current opinion is on the subject.

• Yes, I think it should be legislated.
  • No, laws should be secular in nature.
  • I'm an atheist/ not religious.
    Vote C
*Should your religious morality

933

What Girls Said 9

• I am a strong Christian, but I am a firm believer in separation of church and state. Because the laws that protect a Wiccan's right to practice rituals is the exact same law that protects my right to attend my church of my choice.

I don't believe that God would want people to just follow his laws because they are forced to--I think there is a certain genuineness he wants. I would have if a polytheistic government tried to oppress me with their beliefs, and I won't oppress them with mine. Do I want all people to convert and believe in Christ? Yes, of course. As a Christian, that is ultimately what I want. But also as a Christian, I believe in the law of freewill that God established from the beginning, so I understand that true morality is not forced.

I believe secular laws that keep us from killing each other, but force us to cooperate as a society on an interpersonal level--as neutral as possible--is the best way to go.

• I would hate* if a polytheistic government

• I agree with you I hate hypocrisy like that. I mean no one is perfect but I try my best to hold standards that I set for myself. I know I fall short sometimes but at least I try.

• Yeah exactly just like you were saying it shows how people with that kind of mentality are hypocritical

• Ignoring all the issues with the idea of creating laws based on holy books, I would take issue with the very idea of 'Religious Morality' in the first place.
    I doubt there is a person alive who actually follows everything in their respective holy book. Anyone making laws based on their faith would just be picking and choosing what parts they wanted to follow. I can't imagine many Christians wanting to see Slavery legalised.

• No, dumb question.

You want to follow a religion? Go ahead. So long as you don't push it on me and you don't break the law.

• Laws should be justified by evidence, not dogma. It doesn't matter whether this dogma is religious or secular. For example, because of feminist dogma the way we rehabilitate domestic violence offenders in many US states is extremely ineffective. Many feminists are convinced that domestic violence is caused by the "patriarchy" and that the way to treat offenders is to indoctrinate them into feminism (Duluth Method). Turns out that cognitive behavior therapy, anger management, and training in nonviolent communication are much more effective. The feminist theory on domestic violence is also heteronormative and has nothing to say about the prevalence of domestic violence in same sex relationships.

• There needs to be more separation between church and state.

• Who would?

• It deponds on the place.

However I find nothing wrong in atheist nations taking inspiration from religions.

• Depends on what religion...

• It actually is. There can only be one true religion anyway and only one way to the kingdom of God.

• they can also all be useless. just saying... :p

• It is legislated

What Guys Said 33

• Ideally yes if using the Bible. The Bible gives great moral laws such not murder, not steal, not lie, no, adultery, and no whoring around.

However, I don't believe in forcing religious morality on any secular people since they don't accept religion as a moral guide.

• *A man shall not take his father’s wife, nor uncover his father’s bed.

I put that there by accident. Ignore it.

• I know that the old world was different. What I'm saying is that the bible is just a relic of the old world and should not be used to influence morality or make laws. It's the writings of a bunch of murdering, raping, slaving desert nomads collected over 900 years and heavily edited by European churches to help them control different countries. It doesn't reflect our modern understanding of morality or rule of law.
      There's a reason that 99.9% of the bible is completely ignored by modern Christian's. It's because stoning children for misbehaving and selling your daughters to their rapists is wrong, and we all know it.

• Well since religions aren't all compatible with each other, hell, even denominations of the same religion aren't necessarily compatible so which would we choose to use as our moral guideline? No... if you want to live your life a certain way, that's up to you. I don't view religions as being all that moral anyway

• The inevitable conclusion of that is to ban all other religions. That's a drastic violation of human rights.

• Whenever a particular religion gets a stranglehold on government it inevitably leads to trampling on the rights of other religions and the nonreligious. Since I'm not religious I'd prefer laws to be secular in nature in order to protect my rights.

• No that would violate the first amendment which pretty allows the freedom to practice any religion or none at all, and our founding fathers warned against the notion of a theocracy especially a Christian one. So in spite those so called patriotic right wingers claiming America is a Christian country it never was and never meant for that.

i.pinimg.com/.../...1e32f4c456567d7393d9ba9571.jpg

• so to all you Christian Americans out there, if you want to live a Christian life go ahead and feel free to do so, but leave the rest of us out of it don't try to force it we're not interested.

• exactly there are many things I dislike. Guess what though, I don't want them outlawed because everyone has the right to freedom to live their lives as they please. So yes let people do what you want don't like it don't do it lol.

• Should we teach that killing disobedient teens is okay? Should we teach that we should kill someone for working on the Sabbath? Should we teach that women aren't allowed to talk in church? Should we teach that women were created as a "help-meet" for men?
    No, because I could find better morality in the Rick James bible.

• What a load of crap you say. Smh. Women can speak in the chruch you fool they are just not allowed to preach.

• @Hispanic-Cool-Guy you're such a hypocrite. Even your fellow Christians don't like you on this site.

• You mean the lukewarm ones that hate the Bible but claim to be Christians? All I ever say it's the truth.

Check out what the Lord Jesus said about it.

Matthew 10:11-15:

“Now whatever city or town you enter, inquire who in it is worthy, and stay there till you go out. And when you go into a household, greet it.

If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.

And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.

Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!

• Nope, what do I look like, a republican idiot

• Since the nature of my country is completely secular I think we should only have secular laws. Religion is none of the government's business, nor should religious morality be legislated. Yes, originally my country was a Christian nation but we're not anymore unlike a couple of the government parties think.

• Holy shit no. If you want a religious run country then move to Saudi Arabia. Leave my freedom alone.

• They can move to the middle east and experience what it's like living in a place that governs with religion.

• God no. I say get your own country if you need to practice your backwards beliefs in that way. Also, if there are people who believe that strongly to want laws outlines by their faith to be mandated then I would assume they would undermine my country to turn it into theirs, and that starts with injecting their religion into law. So no, so much no, all of my no.

• What has religion got to do with politics

• Where I live they are inseparable

• Ok is safe to say now that religion has no identity of its own again
      Now keen on destroying religion and taking it away from existence
      Ok fucked up world

• fuck no

• "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's". (Matthew 22:15-22, Mark 12:13-17, Luke 20:19-26)

In other words, a separation between temporal power (The State) and spiritual power (The Church) *is itself* a Christian concept.

• lol that's a bit of a paradox.

• Not really. Look around the world at which cultures and religions have secular governments and which do not. See a pattern? You should...

• It's a paradox because you're saying we should have a secular government because your religion says so... You don't see how that's at least somewhat humorous?

• I don't know I'm on the fence about it I'm not completely against the idea or for it yet, just kind of in limbo I guess so to speak.

• Yes, I don't want to see sharia law as a legal thing in my country...

• Secular, but I do think some laws are needed to prevent cultish gated communities, not so much to persecute the religion, but to ensure kids that are born within the gated community are not treated as property and married off in polygamous marriages they don't want to be in

• 'Religious Morality' is very subjective.
    Every religion without exception has some really questionable up moral values.
    Laws must be in common interest of every individual in the country.
    But in a diverse country, the dominant religion will force influence the law. That's one area where secularism becomes weak.

• If you are against separation of church and state dont you DARE pretend you love freedom

• How can there be a separation of church and state, when the system of government is itself just another religion? Its citizens are the choir; law enforcers are priests; laws are religious text; legislators and presidents (etc.) are the preachers. To achieve any actual separation requires the destruction of the system itself, so that each man may be governed by and through the market..

• Too late, they already did it long ago.

• Um, no. What a dumb question.

• What does the third choice have to do with the question?

• It's part of my presumption that no atheist would think we should mandate adherence to a religion they don't hold. My intent was to prevent atheist responders from skewing the polls, I don't think it worked though.

• no, religion should stay out of law making

• Religion is a personal topic.

• I need more context.

• Such as?

• Don't matter.
      Legislating someone's religion will only net you one of the these four outsomes:
      -kill
      -steal from
      -harm/maim
      -harass others

• Maybe we're not understanding each other. So I'll attempt to clarify. In the OT of the Bible there are 613 laws, of those 10 of them are commonly known (because religious people don't much care to learn the others.)
      1.) No other Gods (not in the US code)
      2.) No art, plus punishing children for the crimes of their fathers (not in US code)
      3.) Don't use god's name in vain (not in US code)
      4.) Remember the Sabbath (Not in US code)
      5.) Honor your father and mother (Not in US Code)
      6.) Don't Murder (In US code with some more specifications)
      7.) Don't commit adultery (Not in US code)
      8.) Don't steal (In US code, but also every other society)
      9.) Don't lie (not in US code, except in courts of law)
      10.) Don't covet (Not in US code, and foundational to capitalism)

So no, our laws most certainly aren't based off of these in any sense.

• God's truth is more important that man's truth.

• And you think that regardless of what other people believe they should be forced into following your beliefs?

• They don't have to believe or follow Catholic canon law, but there is a basic level of decency that needs to be followed for civil society to be maintained.

• Alrighty

• Depends do we want a separation of church and state or not?

• nope. that opposes freedom.

• Depends what religion. If it's Islam then no. Islam is a death cult and should be eradicated.

• What about your religion? Should I be forced to live by your religious standards?

• Did you bother looking at what I found.
      Stop pulling percentages out of thin air.
      Where are you getting your information from?
      Since the only percentage I found close to that was 98.5% which is still less than what you are suggesting but then again it seems like your facts are coming from your own head to get me to stop this but I'm sure you've realised that I find a great deal of joy in arguing especially when the other person is a broken record.

• @WildStarMagic I get my information from the reality I see with my own eyes, not some flawed "study" off the internet. 99.9% of terrorist attacks comes from the religion of Islam, as well as most rapes and beheadings.

• More from Guys
    3