What do you believe in?

Personally, I believe that we all exist and that's what matters. I don't know how or why we exist, and I never will, no one ever will. And that's fine. I think that the only meaning anything has is the meaning that people give it.
I don't go by any kind of religion and I respect that some people do. I think that religion is something that people made to help themselves understand the universe and to give them hope that after this life there is something else. Religion is just thing to help people give life meaning, and that's okay, I just don't agree with it.

214

What Guys Said 14

• The Universe is and always will be. Time is a illusion created by man. Chemistry and physics create life from nothing, our current world is the process of millions of years of chemical reactions and evolution. Everything living consumes, the living consumes the living in a never ending cycle. Chemically and environmentally we are one entity, mentally and physically unique beings. The Universe isn't infallible and makes mistakes while there is error correcting code in the structure of space and time, which leads me to believe that the Universe is sentient or at least planets are. We all die and return to nature via decomposition from bacteria, fungi, insects, and other tiny life. This creates a cycle of life, one life is not all we get, our essence will be consumed by other living being and transmuted into other lives/perspectives/realities.

• I guess this is the issue I have with atheism. Atheists create meaning or search for it as much as anyone else. Human beings need a why to their existence. Science cannot provide that answer, so people instinctively look to disciplines to search for it. The thing that is funny about atheism and science is that they have never explain why humans would evolve in this way. Why do human beings need a why to their existence at all?

It is funny, you used a clip from "Rick and Morty". But Rick struggles with this concept over the entire series. But unlike most atheists Rick is really, really smart. He can travel through time and space at will. He knows all about many of the mysteries of the universe. He talks about love only being a chemical reaction in the brain.

But he is still devoted and loyal to his daughter and his grandchildren. They are the most important thing in his existence. Rick is full of contradictions. He is caring and not caring. He is supposedly so smart, but tragically all alone. I think he kind of a model for what many human beings are struggling with today.

Purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHLzEXEqMe8

• Reason for human and just environmental betterment, engineering advancement in technology to help people.. I don't follow religion either, although I credit some of the good things it has in principle. I was touched by them.

• "I think therefore I am."

Everything else is uncertain, yet not equally uncertain. For instance, I value the scientific method above random claims.

• i believe that this life is a very important chance for us. to explore the world and live it. i don't need two life or an eternal life. it would be boring. there's a lot of challenges in this world

• me too! if I had to pick a label, I would be a humanist.
    there is no intrinsic existential meaning to the universe. but I think, there for I am. I feel love, there for there is love.

I only thing we seem to disagree on here is that religion helps people find meaning.. I don't think it does.
    if you read the bible you'll see that there is no message of morality and meaning. to be a christian you have to defend genocide and the mass murdering of children. it warps peoples moral structure and cripples their critical faculties. which is not to say that all Christians are bad and stupid. but the ones who are good people would be better people without being indoctrinated in to defending the dissonant ideas that god brutally kills babies to make a point, and god is pure good.

• What do I believe in?
    I believe I will have another beer.

• I don't believe in anything. There is no God.

• I don't know what I believe in anymore. I guess I believe in not being poor

• Yup.

• I believe in universal brotherhood

• I completely agree with you, OP! On everything.

• Nyquil.

• You are agnostic in case you were not able to describe it in one word

• This is pretty much the definition of agnostic

• Firstly, I don't really like labels, I feel like they're kinda limiting. And secondly, it's helpful to explain things for people

What Girls Said 2

• I believe there is so much more to this existence than this pathetic life here on earth. A place where we literally have to invent things to give our lives purpose... I hold on strongly to the belief that this is not it, that there is more... I have no idea what 'more' might be but I find the prospect of death really exciting. I don't see it as an end but a new chapter. I may not be able to consciously recall my life here and I may not be able to experience this new chapter in any recognisable way but I feel in my heart that it's true.

I'm not religious in any way but I also don't follow the belief of there being nothing after death.

• That's not why people have religions to just explain something about the world to them.

• Yet the majority of religions have their version of how their God created the Universe and Earth. Hmm. Funny that.

Funny how ministers spend all Sunday at the pulpit bantering about how God spent a week getting everything ready for us humans.

• You don't understand it.

• What don't I understand?