Are religions relevant in the modern world?

With the advent of computer technologies and massive advances in the field of science, people are 100% confident in science... is such a belief an indication of decline or even extinction of religions?

226

What Girls Said 2

• nope, technology doesn't indicate a decline or extinction of religions.
    As a matter of fact, I don't think (the western world) has seen half as many religious extremists committing mass bombings/shootings in the name of their religion (likely recruiting a few new recruits each time) as we have in the past few years.

• Yes it does, the more technologically advanced a country is the higher the decline in "believers"

• @IntrovertedHotGuy.. that wasn't my point but alrighty then.

• That was my point tans u proved it

• Well of course not all religions. Islam certainly isn’t. But believing in Jesus is the only way to salvation. Science doesn’t teach you right from wrong. The moral fabric of western society is Christianity.

• I really hope that a religion that devalues women and condones slavery isn't the moral fabric of western society.

• @claw09 yeah that proof that rel Ohio on isn't the basis for morals.

What Guys Said 26

• Yes, religions are relevant in the modern world. Religions in general gives hurting people a sense of hope, community, love and fellowship.

If you take away religion which offers hope from poor, desperate and suffering people which the majority in poor countries are religious, things can get real crazy pretty fast.

A person that has lost hoped is a dangerous person, just imagine millions of poor, desperate, hurting and hopeless people in the world.

Not a good look.

• Personally I would say that Religion is a coping mechanism, obviously it is used to explain things that can't be explained.
    I also think it is a form of control. As a king what better way to stay there than by saying you where sent by God to do it and anything against you is against God etc.

As science becomes more prevalent there are less places for religion to hide. But it all depends on how we teach younger people, if they are forced into religious doctrines at an early age they are more likely to believe it. Personally I would wait th ill they are older and let them decide.

• Religion and spirituality will always be relevant, humans are naturallpre-disposed to religious and spiritual beliefs. It's completely natural. When they lose that and become atheists they become nihilistic and degenerate.

This also leads to low birth rates below replacement level because with no below in anything greater than themselves they start to live for themselves. Meanwhile religious people tend to have much higher birth rates and will eventually outbreed them massively.

There are also many things that science can't explain, and there are always new things discovered all the time. Many of these things actually disprove things that have for a long time been considered as 100% fact. Also most people don't understand that science can be corrupted and used to serve certain agendas, especially those of the people who fund the research. But many people put 100% trust in it just like many people do religion, while falsely in my opinion believing themselves to be much smarter as a result. Science becomes their new religion.

• Let me introduce you to guilt. Its a common factor upon those seek salvation. When people go to church they looooove hear how there god will bless them, heal them and protect them, but let there lord tell them to change there life. Yeah where did they go?
    People fall out cause they lack discipline.
    People dont believe cause, hell science is freakn awsome and its right there.
    As science get advance yes religion will be a after thought. Eich is cool. Been a Christian all my life but hey can't force people. pray and move on.

• 100% confidence in science is 100% confidence in the faultiness of mankind... that seems like a very foolish progression to me. Human error is always present and can never be completely removed. Obviously through peer review and testing it can be minimized... but it will ALWAYS be present.

• Thank you. These people seem to not understand science is always changing.

Humans are so extremly limited in their knowledge and people love to think science has all the answers.

Science is great, but people put too much faith in whatever a scientists says only to have that scientist change his mind on a theory in a few years or so.

• Religions still control the minds of billions of people.

i.pinimg.com/.../...rue-religion-anti-religion.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X723tJB.jpg

• I've tried to defend religion when I was younger. Along the way I shifted from theist, to neutral to anti theist. It's become so painfully clear how even the existence of religion and conservitism financially and socially corrupts societies.

I've notice people search for spirituality, often exploring religious practiceses but usually end up believing in themselves. It's a common, growing trend.

Secularism and science brought you the information, research and capacity to read this with hard work, study and doing something.

Religion tries to solve problems with thoughts and prayers and disorganized charities with high administration costs.

The are exceptions sure, but I'd rather live in Germany, Canada or Sweden than Turkey, Saudi Arabia or the Bible belt.

• Religion had its chance.

• There are many things that science couldn't solve and moreover major god/religion believing people are god fear but not god loving people. And surely it is the indication of extinction.

• There are many things which when science isn't able to prove claims that it's fabricated or lie... why is that? Science isn't 100%. I'm not against science but to say that science is complete and enough for us is utter stupidity.
    (Excuse my words plz)

• Science can prove everything. Just because we don't know the answer doesn't mean science doesn't know the answer.

• That is a completely wrong statement... Science is unable to prove a lot of things... when science is unable to prove something they say it's a hoax... lol

• You know who is not 100% confident in science? Scientists. Science always works from a perspective of critical analysis, not confidence. Religions might change from their present form, but there will always be something akin to them. Some arbitrary reason for people to think they're better than others whether it's socialism, capitalism, anti-theism, whatever.

• No. I do like to think there is a spiritual power out there, like the grim reaper, but not to worship and not in a religious way. Maybe I'm spiritual but not religious, I've heard that one.

• It seems like with modern times and religion people just cherry pick and that includes Muslims. Christianity and Islam both have religious doctrines that say you must kill the infidels. Many Christians ignore the Old Testament completely.

• Your question is poorly formed. Technology has been evolving since the wheel was invented. And as for science, well let me just say that what was real science in the 50's when I grew up to now is different. Several scientific facts are no longer facts or planets for that matter. Your 100% confidence is misplaced. Or perhaps you can say ,"science as we know it today" because it seems science changes. Besides science co-exist with religion.

• Very well put sir... but i must ask, what proof is there that shows science co exists with religion

• Ah. You would like a scientific experiment. Not enough time or space buts lets not do the petty picking. I will just do personal. I am a believer. Not a believer in a religion or building or order of prayers. (But I do pray). I believe in a divinity. A deity that provided the matter of the universe and the impetus as well. Should someone say that man came from apes does not disturb me. Belief in a deity , such as catholics do, simply says that at at some point 'God' intervened and made man'. The breathed breath in what ever animal or cell he choose. It takes no greater leaf of faith to believe that than to just accept all those missing links in human DNA or the proof that is often seen on documentaries; "And over time" is too often used as scientific evidence. My belief that someone gave us that DNA, changes and all, easily co-exist with science. Or at least proven science. And we must be careful not to confuse a belief in a God with establishment religion. Just my thoughts. Good Luck

• Yup. As long as people lean on them for spiritual or moral guidance, religions will be relevant.

• I don't think so. I say that very respectfully.

Everyone has something they believe in, if it be powerful beings such as gods, technology, science or the earth itself or a person right next to them. It's up to them who and/or what they have faith in. If it helps them live a better life and it helps spread good will and positive constructiveness, then I say leave them be. Just as long as you don't hurt or kill anyone or thing in the process.

• No religion is, I hope they die off soon. Do they do anything positive for the human race?

• of course- from the viewpoint of inspiring its followers to do good/bad acts

• Nope and they spread a lot of hate. Religion is just a cult and a scam

• Religion is bullshit and main of not only reason there are wars in the world!

• What kind of stupidity are you saying? Did you know religions have caused about only 9% of wars faught?

Alomst all wars are faught for resources, territory and greed not religious beliefs.

• Hopefully. Sadly tradition dies hard

• Science cannot tell anything about life after death, negatively or positively. But religions can. Also we need to believe in something. So, they always will exist.

• Lol people are 100 percent confident in religion dude.

• No religions don't give anything 2 the modern world that secularism couldn't

• Religion in today's Era I would say it is just there it's of no use

• No that's why we should get ride of it and make practicing any religion punishable by carpet bombing