Are morals subjective or objective?

My freind says what is wrong is wrong and vice versa because she believes in her values to be right always. For me people have different set of personal values affected by culture. Religion etc
What are your thoughts? Are morals subjective or objective??

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• morals are objective and logical but what you think about them or how you feel about them is obviously subjective.

2|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It's dependent upon the societal institutions a person is introduced to from family to school to religion and how they perceive these message. Therefore, it's relatively subjective.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

What Guys Said 16

• The definition of morality is subjective.
    However, once we set up a standard we can objectively assess whether or not certain actions are in accord with it.

Similar to the rules of chess. The rules are subjective, there's no reason that the pawn can only move one space, but the knight three; however, if we're playing a game of chess and you don't follow the rules you'll be penalized.

0|0
    0|0
  • 100% subjective. Any argument is ignorant and juvenile. There isn't a single moral observed today that has been standard in every known human civilization. Not one, ever. There are even major disparities between modern cultures in this day and age. Everything is subjective.

0|0
    0|1
  • Of course it's subjective, even murder, there is no natural law that says murder is not good, morals are made up by societies and are usually based upon feelings, how can our actions influence others, thats why murder is bad, theft is bad, dishonesty is bad. Almost everything is subjective and relative

0|0
    0|0
    • To add on to this although murder is frowned upon almost totally universally, killing is not

• Yes, that's why I wrote murder. Killing is socially acceptable

• Well for me I believe in God. What God says is a sin is a sin. My morals are what I was taught by my Great Grandma, Grandma and Mother.
    They taught me to be a gentlemen. They taught me how to love others. How to have manners when they are needed. My dads values also showed me how to love and care for women as well. Im thankful was taught there are consequences to my actions. I try to live my life as ten commandments and of course love thy God and love others as myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • Morals can be suppressed or altered with culture and religion. But even animals have shown signs if empathy and compassion once thought only belonged to humans.

Murder is seen around the world as a moral wrong. So is rape. There are some inherent processes in our brains that give us the ability to do the "right" thing. Is it subjective? Absolutely. But its human nature to have certain defaults too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Even considering things like culture and religion, there will still be illogical imbalances with regards to what certain people have a moral/ethical "right" to based on one's social position in a given context.

0|0
    0|0
  • Subjective depending on the individual, the culture they grew up in, the influences of society, parents, friends, politics, etc., etc.
    So they will be different between person to person.
    Variety is the spice of Life!

0|0
    0|0
  • It's taken me this long to realize that nothing in life is ever 100% black and white. There's always a gray area, and no one person ever knows it all. (But republicans and democrats would have you believe otherwise)

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally I think that morality is subjective, as I don't think there is anything that would make them objective.

0|0
    0|0
  • Even if you can argue that they are subjective, they must be treated as objective so that we can have a standard.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mostly objective, sometimes subjective.
    Murder, rape, assault and theft are wrong everywhere, everytime.
    Depending on the time and context, something may be unethical, maybe even immoral.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say subjective. What is right for one person might not be right for another.

0|0
    0|0
  • Morality is situational, it has both subjective an objective elements, but is meaningless in a vacume

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that the wrong of one people can be the right of another one but there are some that always wrong or always right

0|0
    0|0
  • For me objective, but I can't imagine other people agree.

0|0
    0|0
  • Morals must be subjective albeit some morals are supported by most of society

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• I think most cultures agree that killing is wrong. Most agree that forcing another person to have sex with you is wrong. Most also agree that children aren’t capable of making decisions about sex, and that it’s wrong to marry close blood relatives.

In short, some things appear to be universal in theory, if not always in practice.

3|0
    0|0
  • Your friend sounds very ignorant. Moral values are very different in different cultures of different parts of the world, let alone they have always evolved since the beginning of human civilizations. That alone is prove that there isn't one "correct" set of morals.

That being said, it is important for any society to agree upon certain moral principles, otherwise it would collapse.

1|1
    0|0
  • definitely subjective. americans eat cows while a lot of people in other countries wouldn’t dream of such a thing. people in other countries have cultural norms that westerners could never think to do.

1|0
    0|0
  • Subjective to a degree, but then just plainly objective.

0|0
    0|0
  • objective. dont hurt anyone in any way shape or form. do that and hey congrats u morals

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes