Are miracles and magic the same thing?

• Yes, they're synonyms.
  • No, they're different because...

2060

Most Helpful Girls

• No, Miracles happen when you believe in God.
    Magic happen when someone trick you Magic is use by sorcerers or magicians. They are not the same.
    One is trick. One is real

• What if you believe magic is real, does that make it real?

• Still no lol. Because magic is deception. It's an illusion. Magic can trick our eyes but magic cannot trick our mind lol.

• what?

• It's pretty straight forward. If the power isn't human, it's coming from somewhere God or Satan. Magic, real magic, is used to trick people, to harm people, to curse people and to blind them. A lot of people think of 'Disney magic' when they hear magic, that, is a make believe and not really anything except imaginary.

Miracles on the other hand, are from God, God's power manifesting. They used for positive things like; healing, protection, revelation, and encountering. They're usually requested or prayed for and can be anything from finding something you need to make a day where nothing's going right a bit better to things like seeing people's twisted/injured hands being restored. One's good, one's bad. One builds up, one tears down.

• Ding ding ding...

• Well Adam was created. Created by God. Not as a part of an overnight ritual. God used dirt yes, but the two are unrelated. I imagine the term 'gollem spell' comes from one of the times the Hewbrews were worshipping idols & Ashera and the like. Which is understandable that the magicians from other lands would have started referring to that part of Creation as a 'spell'. Anyway, if it's a spell bad, if it's a miracle it's good.

• Thanks for the MHO

Most Helpful Guys

• In the strictest sense of the words, no.

Magic is just a trick. It's a man-made illusion. Although it might seem to defy logic, the magician knows that there is a very logical explanation that doesn't involve supernatural powers.

A "miracle" is something that, so far as all witnessing parties are concerned, completely defies all logical explanations. Even if it could have one, no one that witnessed it understands it, so it's usually regarded as being divinely influenced.

• Those sound exactly the same. Except you're saying that the magician thinks it a trick. I can think of a few witches who don't think their craft a trick.

• The example I've been using on this thread I think indicates my consternation at the supposed difference pretty well.
      I think we'd both agree that golem spells are magic. Whether a god performs a golem spell, or some other entity performs it I still think it magic, but if a person's particular god does it they call it a miracle. That distinction seems baseless to me.

• So for you, magic requires direct human action, where as a miracle might not?

• Magic: the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.

Miracles: a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.

They're not the same. Christians think magic is satan's work because it probably comes from a pagan religion. And because "back in the day" christians demonized almost any other religion that wasn't like them, they were considered to be satanic and evil, and they praticed "magic" so that became satanic too. A miracle, on the other hand, is some unexplanable event, so people set God as the explanation.

• I don't see how you view those two definitions as being substantially different.

Both are apparent suspensions of the natural law that are ascribed to a supernatural force.

• Lets just agree to disagree. I'm not interested in this anymore

• Alrighty then