• Yes, they're synonyms.
    Vote A
  • No, they're different because...
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• No, Miracles happen when you believe in God.
    Magic happen when someone trick you Magic is use by sorcerers or magicians. They are not the same.
    One is trick. One is real

2|1
    0|1
    • What if you believe magic is real, does that make it real?

• Still no lol. Because magic is deception. It's an illusion. Magic can trick our eyes but magic cannot trick our mind lol.

• what?

• It's pretty straight forward. If the power isn't human, it's coming from somewhere God or Satan. Magic, real magic, is used to trick people, to harm people, to curse people and to blind them. A lot of people think of 'Disney magic' when they hear magic, that, is a make believe and not really anything except imaginary.

Miracles on the other hand, are from God, God's power manifesting. They used for positive things like; healing, protection, revelation, and encountering. They're usually requested or prayed for and can be anything from finding something you need to make a day where nothing's going right a bit better to things like seeing people's twisted/injured hands being restored. One's good, one's bad. One builds up, one tears down.

1|3
    0|0
    • Ding ding ding...

• Show All
    • Well Adam was created. Created by God. Not as a part of an overnight ritual. God used dirt yes, but the two are unrelated. I imagine the term 'gollem spell' comes from one of the times the Hewbrews were worshipping idols & Ashera and the like. Which is understandable that the magicians from other lands would have started referring to that part of Creation as a 'spell'. Anyway, if it's a spell bad, if it's a miracle it's good.

• Thanks for the MHO

Most Helpful Guys

• In the strictest sense of the words, no.

Magic is just a trick. It's a man-made illusion. Although it might seem to defy logic, the magician knows that there is a very logical explanation that doesn't involve supernatural powers.

A "miracle" is something that, so far as all witnessing parties are concerned, completely defies all logical explanations. Even if it could have one, no one that witnessed it understands it, so it's usually regarded as being divinely influenced.

0|0
    0|1
    • Those sound exactly the same. Except you're saying that the magician thinks it a trick. I can think of a few witches who don't think their craft a trick.

• Show All
    • The example I've been using on this thread I think indicates my consternation at the supposed difference pretty well.
      I think we'd both agree that golem spells are magic. Whether a god performs a golem spell, or some other entity performs it I still think it magic, but if a person's particular god does it they call it a miracle. That distinction seems baseless to me.

• So for you, magic requires direct human action, where as a miracle might not?

• Magic: the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.

Miracles: a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.

They're not the same. Christians think magic is satan's work because it probably comes from a pagan religion. And because "back in the day" christians demonized almost any other religion that wasn't like them, they were considered to be satanic and evil, and they praticed "magic" so that became satanic too. A miracle, on the other hand, is some unexplanable event, so people set God as the explanation.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't see how you view those two definitions as being substantially different.

Both are apparent suspensions of the natural law that are ascribed to a supernatural force.

• Show All
    • Lets just agree to disagree. I'm not interested in this anymore

• Alrighty then

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 18

• A miracle is an act of God. magic is an act of the devil

0|5
    2|0
    • So the same thing, just coming from a different place?

• Show All
    • It's people like you to blame for the rise of communism.

• I hate communism. That has nothing to do with what I believe

• They are absolutely the same thing. The only difference you could come with would be that miracles are said to come from an imaginary being instead of a real person. So if anything, miracles are even more stupid to believe.

A phenomena is either explained in natural terms or it is unexplained. Making up bullshit

0|1
    1|1
  • I think miracles are meant to be devine supernatural occurrences, while magic is more synonymous with sorcery and describes manmade manipulation of nature.

What they both have in common though, is that neither of them is real.

1|2
    0|1
  • Magic is an illusion. A miracle is when the impossible happens

3|2
    2|3
    • Doesn't something happening mean it's possible?

• Show All
    • @questionsWanswers if it was witnessed yes.

• If it was witnessed. You would believe literally anything so long as someone told you they saw it? Do you think it's ok to be that gullible? Its really not.

• No, magic is pure crap and miracles happen every day all around us.
    Miracles don't exactly have to be weird things like bringing people back to life. They exist in amazing scientists coming up with new medicines, in men like Fred Hollows and Dr Victor Chang, in people being compelled to help others in crisis.

0|0
    0|0
    • No thats called science honey, not miracles.

• Show All
    • So when you say miracle do you mean it's just something nice that happens to make peoples lives better?

• What?
      I have to agree with the questions gal... Science is not miraculous in any real sense of the word. It's the opposite of the common definitions.

• Miracles are God and Magic is this Here, dear, Master. xxoo

1|1
    0|0
  • I vote for B. Originally, both of those things are different in meaning in my religion. But my cultural behavior tends to think both as the same thing, though obviously, it's not.

0|0
    1|0
  • A miracle is when someone survives somthing they should have died from, or when smeone gets cured of an illness that has cure and probally would have died from.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because I am a superstitious person; yes I do believe in miracles, magic, and the supernatural. But anyway this is just my opinion. You are free to agree or disagree! The difference between miracles and magic is this...

● Miracles are wonderful occurrences that happen on its own! They are like surprises or a big slap in the face! You don't know when something good is going to happen until it does. There is no way to predict it!!! And miracles are never anything bad...

● Magic on the other hand does not happen all on its own! It has to be performed by using certian kinds of things or saying a specific phrase! An additional fact about magic is that, it can make bring good luck and bad luck; depending on how you practice it...

1|1
    0|0
  • No I don't think so because miracles happen spontaneous without people doing it. Magic is just an illusion or is made to occur by a person like a magic trick or spell.

0|0
    0|0
  • Magic is an act of a human being, whereas miracle is an act of God

1|1
    0|1
  • No. Miracles just happen. Magic you have to make happen.

2|0
    1|0
  • No because magic is only wishing for something while miracles actually happen but are not the same as magic

0|0
    2|0
  • Miracles is when something happens out of the blue etc
    Magic is when someone uses potions or something to help

0|0
    0|0
  • they are different bcz miracles happens nd magic is what u create

0|0
    1|0
  • Different.

0|0
    0|3
    • Why?

• Show All
    • You mean soil and nutrients is a different thing? And our body doesn't become soil but it becomes nutrients in the soil?

• I wonder how does soil sees without nutrients
      Nutrients - our body
      Soil - soil
      Please explain me what are you trying to say?

• Yes.

0|1
    2|1
  • Yes because neither exist

0|2
    3|2

What Guys Said 58

• No! Real magic is usually mostly evil or wrongdoing by living creations, humans and jinns. The Creator has the power to do what He wills, even miracles, even if they happen through human hands. He does not need magic, it is His strength!

1|0
    0|1
    • So it's the same thing, but only differs in who's doing it?

• Yep they are the same thing, essentially using your ki to make things happen in the outer world, but majority of people would have to do chi kung training for several years till they are capable of displaying some amazing feats like breaking concrete with naked hands, setting papper on fire using their ki, healing through their ki and so on.

0|1
    0|0
  • They fall under the same category, but they utilize different energies.

Miracles draw their power from heaven.
    Magic draws its power from demonic sources.

At least that's what the Bible says.

2|1
    0|1
    • So it's the same thing, but only differs in who's doing it?

• Show All
    • I play hearthstone.

That's what I'm saying though. They can have the same results, just the source of the magic is different... Or are you saying something else? MY golem spell analogy is getting used like crazy today.

• "They can have the same results, just the source of the magic is different..."

Essentially, yes. I'm sure there are people who will try to argue that miracles can only be used for this and that. But there have been saints who gained some control over the elements.. I know one in particular was able to alter the ground to change the flow of a river. Another used a miracle to fight off the Leviathan.

That's "Leviathan," as in the FUCKING. LEVIATHAN.

You're not standing a chance against that thing without some serious stopping power.

So yes, I don't find it difficult to imagine that a saint could expand on what miracles are "supposed" to do.

• I could make a sarcastic comment about how they're both fake but if we put that and what the common usage is then no. Miracles are from a deity where as magic doesn't have to be. Miracles are manic but manic isn't miracles.

0|1
    0|1
  • I'm going to stick with Crowley's definition of magic, the manifestation of will. Magic is the act of creating a shift in time/consciousness by an act of personal will. A marical on the other hand is manifestation of devine will. Same result different source. Personal vs Devine.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is magic, which is a staged illusion; and there is magick, which is the use of supernatural forces to influence events on this plain of existence.
    The uneducated would use the word ‘miracle’ to describe the outcome of the use of supernatural forces.

0|0
    0|0
  • Magic is anything where the cause cannot be explained yet. It's said that any suitably advanced process is indistinguishable from magic until the cause is understood. A miracle is anything that does happen that is considered an impossibility. People often misuse the term to describe any positive outcome that is unlikely, rather than impossible. It's a slight difference and misappropriation has lead to misconstrued meaning.

0|0
    0|0
  • Magic : 1. the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces. 2. Stage Illusion to entertain people
    Miracle:1. a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency. 2. a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.

Using the definitions of the dictionary, no, they are not.

0|0
    0|0
    • They're both suspensions of the natural law by a supernatural means. If you start to nitpick we;d never have any synonyms.
      This is quite frustrating because they're quite evidently the same thing, it's just that people call the magic they believe in "miracles".

If I asked 90% of the people (who are claiming magic is fake and miracles real) if golem spells were real they'd say no. That's silly magic that you only find in Harry Potter. If I ask them about god making Adam from dust they'd say it a miracle.

• Show All
    • 😂
      No, I get that assertion, but it doesn't seem accurate to me. It's an arbitrary difference so far as I can tell. Back to my golem spell example, both are magic, but because a person happens to believe the latter they call it a miracle instead.

• My assertion is that it depends on semantics and the source.

• Miracles are divine magic and are granted by a god, while magic is self imposed. While magic is more versatile, divine magic is more powerful in general, for instance, miracle and wish. Both ared level 9 spells, but miracle requires less components to cast and is typically considered to have the effectiveness of three wishes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm that they both happen purely in the observers mind. Yes they are the same. When something happens that the observer can explain and didn't see coming. It is as experiencing a miracle or magic. Where they might be different is that someone calls it a miracle when it's positive. And magic can be good or bad.

0|0
    1|1
  • What? This, uh... doesn't really make sense.

A miracle, while often correlated to some devine intervention, is simply an unexpected even that caused a much-welcomed outcome for the reciever. This could be a work of a god, or a a doctor saving someone who had not odds of winning.

0|0
    0|0
    • Depends on how you'd define it. Colloquially perhaps people just mean it as a good unexpected thing, but the word itself tends to imply that the event or action was/is impossible via naturalistic means.

• No; if a wildfire is headed for your house, and suddenly a storm blows up unexpectedly and douses it, you might consider it a miracle, but it's not magic.

1|1
    0|0
  • Magic, in its actual sense, is of the devil. Miracles are from God.

0|1
    0|0
  • When something really great happens despite all odds, people call it a miracle whereas magic is just a combination of math science and psychology to create an illusion that people like to call magic...

0|0
    2|1
    • Huh? Lol

• Show All
    • Psych*

• Most card tricks use arithmetic formulas and patterns...
      When you see illusions and escape artists, they use science to escape or use science disguised as something that seems mystical. Magicians use psychology in their acts when they for distractions and misdirections... They also try to manipulate their audience using psychology to make things go their way...

• No, miracles are things that truly happened despite the fact that it could be scientifically rejected. Magic, on the other hand, is used to give us the illusion that something crazy is happening while there is actually nothing happening.

0|0
    0|0
    • Strange. So magic looks like a miracle, but for some reason you think it doesn't happen, and contrarily miracles look like magic, but you think they do happen?
      Is that right?

• Show All
    • That's a golem spell. Creating a form from clay or dust and then imbuing it with life. It was a very common belief in antiquity.

• Well, no. God used his powers to give life to Adam. If using spells were the case, how would galaxies be created? How would the body's systems and how they function together to maintain homeostasis be created?

• no, they are different things.
    Miracle is something, like happens out of the blue, while you are in hell. Which never seems to happen to me, lol
    and magic is something that a person does

0|1
    1|0
  • I'm stumped. Magic is supposed to be fake they say it's not real. Miricals however are a good example would be a kitten nearly getting run over by a car but it was so quick it miraculously escaped death itself. This is a good question by the way.

0|0
    0|0
    • There seems to be an equivocation coming through in that when a lot of y'all use the term "miracles" you're just talking about improbable events, not supernatural events.

I think this is a little strange because both magic and miracles have to do with the suspension of natural law by a supernatural cause, but colloquially we seem to use miracle and magic a little differently apparently.

• Miracles are single instances, magic does not refer to a single instance of something. Hence they cannot be synonymous.

0|0
    0|0
    • How do you figure? I've heard of many similar miracles. Every aunt who's cancer went into remission has been considered a miracle by their family members.

• The word miracle refers to a single instance. That's the way the word works. The word magic does not refer to a single instance of something. Hence they cannot be synonymous.

• Alrighty then.

• 0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, wonder are something done by God, while magic is a power that should be beyond humans.
    God doesn't need magic for his wonders.

0|0
    0|1
  • Miracles come from god
    Magic comes from the devil, whether it's good or bad, it has a harmful side to it

0|1
    1|0
  • Yupp they are synonyms but used in different context. Although both are used as a superlative to describe an event we don't know cause of.
    But in reality there isn't any thing as miracle and magic.

0|0
    0|0
  • Magic is about deception, trickery, misdirection, illusions, etc. Miracles are like acts of universal proportions, such as beating the odds of surgery that may kill you or cancer.

0|0
    0|0
  • They are different. A miracle requires an incredibly unlikely possibility to occur without apparent cause, magic defies the laws of logic.

0|0
    0|0
    • Really? You don't think a miracle is the suspension of natural law by some supernatural entity?

• Show All
    • No problem man. What about you, what do you think?

• I think they're the same. I think both are typically defined as a suspension of natural law by some supernatural means. The Abrahamic faiths just call the magic their god does a miracle. When their god utilizes a golem spell it's a miracle, but any other and it's demonic magic. When their god makes a staff turn into a snake it's miraculous, but when egyptian priests do the same it's magic from the devil etc.

• Miracles is when something good for us that happened unexpected, but magic is what happened out of logic...

0|0
    0|0
  • I see a miracle as a blessing from God, and magic as coming from dark powers and to be avoided

0|1
    0|0
  • Miracles: an act thought to be of divine intervention

Magic: disseption into believing in a miracle and/or that you are a divine being

0|0
    0|0
  • Miracles are observed events that can't be explained by current scientific knowledge. Magic is made up stuff like Harry Potter.

0|0
    0|0
    • That seems to be rather presumptuous.

• Show All
    • Because I find your belief presumptuous? 😂

Difficult.

So far as I can tell both are apparent suspensions of natural law by some supernatural means. People tend to say a miracle is different because it's by god, but this seems to be an irrelevant distinction. If a god does a golem spell it's a miracle, but if some other entity performs a golem spell it's magic?

• Nothing that happens can violate the Laws Of Nature (or as I like to say Laws of Physics). However since we don't fully understand what those laws are we can still be surprised. Now I wouldn't personally ascribe that kind of thing to God. If someone gets sick and then recovers is that a miracle? Or did they just get lucky?

• Miracles is just a small part of Magic.
    Anything that doesn't fit into our logic is miracle And Magic is something which is beyond logic and Maricles.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well for magic you need to level intelligence and for miracles you need to level faith :]

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes