Are you an atheist or religious?

Is your opinion/perspective well thought through?

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I’m an agnostic

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Were you always?

• Show All
    • 5d

Great! I sent you a PM

Most Helpful Guys

• i'm an ignostic secular humanist. i think i have spent enough time figuring that out for myself. cause after all you got shit to do in live and can't just dedicate all your time to figuring out which religion you wanna pursue.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

It definitely takes a ton of time to figure out

• Show All
    • 5d

So you agree with one and two, but number three you would say there are some limits to?

• 5d

it might have limits i think assuming we can know everything would be a little presumptuous but yeah since i don't "know", it might be true. but specially considering what i said previously about new findings always spawning new qeustions that we didn't have before makes me question the possibility that everything can be known by us. also if we think in infinite time, then we as a species will never know everything, if we don't make out out of the solar system before our sun burns out :D so yeah that limits us in the stirive for knowing everything.

• atheist, raised religious. It tried to "think through" it as well as I could manage, but ultimately what it came down to was the fact that, objectively, it simply doesn't make sense for there to be a god. However, it makes a ton of sense that people would believe there is.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Fascinating. Would you be open to diving into your reasoning?

• Show All
    • 5d

If a is the justification for b, and b as a justification for a, you have a circular argument. Which is how you set up the relationship between science and logic, and is inherently illogical.
      Logic has had value long before we developed the scientific method, and was actually the foundation for its adoption. But I like the way of saying that logic is the language of science.

• 5d

Yeah, that's kind-of the whole point. If a god went out of its way to ensure there was no evidence of its existence, then all that means is that there is no evidence of its existence - no matter what any religion claims. A religion without supernatural origins and/or sustaining mechanisms shouldn't be taken seriously when making supernatural claims. Because all it means is that the religion was a product of a mortal human's imagination - no more or less valid or more or less likely to be accurate as the product of any other mortal human's imagination. There is no supernatural mechanism in place to ensure only the 'accurate' religions thrive - the only mechanism in place for a religion's survival is better described in psychological terms, dealing with insecurity and fear.

As for the relationship between logic and science, it was just an afterthought. I don't actually care or anything..

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 15

• I am a rare case because what defines a religion? I have beliefs, a moral code that stems from these beliefs, i have a form of faith although its not required for a majority of my beliefs and its based on my own philosophy.

So in a way you can say i am religious but i follow my own religion as as far as i know its only follower.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

That is interesting. Are you saying that you created a structured religion that only you believe?

• Show All
    • 5d

Depends on your definition of religion, i am spiritual but if i am religious is debatable.

• 5d

Fair enough.

• Neither, I'm a deist.

Religion being wrong has zero impact on if a God exists. You can disprove a book writen by humans all day long, the only thing it proves is that conjecture was inaccurate 2000 years ago.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

So you believe that God exists, but isn't interested in us?

• 6d

Or at the very least is more akin to a scientist, who regardless of if he cares knows that there is a greater harm in interfering with the experiment that is our universe

• 6d

Interesting

• Neither really, I guess the closest description to what I do is Sidhr, shamanism with strong pagan influences basically.

0|0
    0|0
  • Atheist... Yeah, it's pretty well thought through. I'm fortunate though that the religious people around me wasn't forcing their beliefs down my throat... which I think turns a lot of atheists into the fedora tipping ass nuggets that wear their atheism like some sort of badge of honor.

I'm the sort of atheist that still reads the bible and koran... well... not really, I let youtubers read it to me, but the point is I'm not listening due to belief, but I'm understanding points, non-points, agreements and disagreements just as I do when I read Plato material.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am an Atheist. I do not believe in fairly tales

1|1
    0|0
    • 6d

I certainly is silly to believe in fairy tales. But religious people do not think their beliefs are fairy tales at all.

• Atheism is in fact a religion

0|0
    1|3
  • Atheist and yes, it's well thought through.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Congratulations. It's refreshing to see someone who has thought through their opinions. Even if I disagree with them, I am always happy to see more deep thinking.

• Atheist

0|0
    0|0
  • I am Frank Reynolds and I own a Range Rover.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am an Atheist.

0|0
    0|0
  • Religious.

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe in my religion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm an atheist

0|0
    0|0
  • l dont care

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm Atheist, I don't believe in any kind of "gods", "devils", "demons", "angels" etc.
    However, I'm spiritual, I believe in reincarnation, because human mind is a form of energy, and we all know that energy never dies, it just changes form.
    I believe in aliens as well, because I don't think that we are the only intelligent species in the Universe.
    I believe in Multiverse theory too, I see no reason why "our Universe" is supposed to be "the only one"... I mean not just multiple Universes as in Alternate Timelines, but also in Another Dimensional Planes (with different Physical, Chemical and Biological laws).
    I also believe in some psychic abilities like telepathy, psychokinesis, precognition etc - because I'm sure that human brain has certain "secret" functions still insufficiently explored by the science.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes