Are you an atheist or religious?

Is your opinion/perspective well thought through?

417

Most Helpful Girls

• I’m an agnostic

• 6d

Were you always?

• 5d

Great! I sent you a PM

Most Helpful Guys

• i'm an ignostic secular humanist. i think i have spent enough time figuring that out for myself. cause after all you got shit to do in live and can't just dedicate all your time to figuring out which religion you wanna pursue.

• 6d

It definitely takes a ton of time to figure out

• 5d

So you agree with one and two, but number three you would say there are some limits to?

• 5d

it might have limits i think assuming we can know everything would be a little presumptuous but yeah since i don't "know", it might be true. but specially considering what i said previously about new findings always spawning new qeustions that we didn't have before makes me question the possibility that everything can be known by us. also if we think in infinite time, then we as a species will never know everything, if we don't make out out of the solar system before our sun burns out :D so yeah that limits us in the stirive for knowing everything.

• atheist, raised religious. It tried to "think through" it as well as I could manage, but ultimately what it came down to was the fact that, objectively, it simply doesn't make sense for there to be a god. However, it makes a ton of sense that people would believe there is.

• 6d

Fascinating. Would you be open to diving into your reasoning?

• 5d

If a is the justification for b, and b as a justification for a, you have a circular argument. Which is how you set up the relationship between science and logic, and is inherently illogical.
      Logic has had value long before we developed the scientific method, and was actually the foundation for its adoption. But I like the way of saying that logic is the language of science.

• 5d

Yeah, that's kind-of the whole point. If a god went out of its way to ensure there was no evidence of its existence, then all that means is that there is no evidence of its existence - no matter what any religion claims. A religion without supernatural origins and/or sustaining mechanisms shouldn't be taken seriously when making supernatural claims. Because all it means is that the religion was a product of a mortal human's imagination - no more or less valid or more or less likely to be accurate as the product of any other mortal human's imagination. There is no supernatural mechanism in place to ensure only the 'accurate' religions thrive - the only mechanism in place for a religion's survival is better described in psychological terms, dealing with insecurity and fear.

As for the relationship between logic and science, it was just an afterthought. I don't actually care or anything..