Is it common for Muslims to marry their cousin?

215

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 15

• I'm not sure if this is commonly practiced among Muslims. However, marrying a cousin is a common practice in places where small groups of people live in close proximity and have infrequent contact with other populations. Around the world there are many small villages like this.

• Ya... iT is
    2 situations
    1. My friend had to refuse their family trying to make him marry his first cousin... she’s hot but yuk she looks like him,,, weirdos
    2. I once saw a Muslim dad handling his mentally retarded child, for real... the first thought in my head was , for sure this guy banged his cousin you sick person.. and now your kid is messed up

• Its not haram but that doesn't mean we are doing it either.
    I donnt know the situation in other countries but in my country Its not comman If somebody marry with his cousin, people would censure him

• Through much of human history, it was common to marry your cousin.

• Yeah, but cousins are not near kin. Incest is only those close to you which is father, mother, brother, sister, aunt, uncle and grandparents.

• Wow I didn't know that only in Pakistan cousin marriage is common. Only in Pakistan.

• It seems some what common.

• No? I’ll be surprised if it’s true

• It's getting less common nowadays

• In Pakistan it is.

• 4d

I just wonder do you ever been in pakistan or do you ever meet with a pakistani in your life?
      Dont talk about nations that you dont have a knowledge about.
      Its not something common in pakistan.

• No, wtf

• Lol what a question

• Yeah because the prophet Mohamed is seen as the epitome of masculinity and he married his cousin so in some Islamic countries that's why they do cousin marriages, like Pakistan has 70% of its marriages being cousin marriages.

• Cousins are not your brothers or sisters, so there is no harm in marrying your cousin

• 5d

That’s wrong... there is harm in marrying your first cousin lol... that’s a fact not something debatable

• 5d

@TripleAce A lot of my relatives have married a first cousin and there was no harm done.

• It’s allowed

What Girls Said 1

• Yeah. My mom was proposed to by two of her cousins but declined both. It’s disgusting actually and one of the reasons why I’m an atheist