What are your opinions on religion in general?

So I grew up catholic, but as I got older, I just couldn’t find myself to believe that god or an afterlife exists. I was diagnosed with cancer not too long ago and so many people told me they are praying for me and it just got me thinking. I would absolutely love to believe in god and think that when I die, I’ll be reunited with loved ones who have passed and I won’t just rot in the ground. That would be very comforting and so much weight off my shoulders. I think that christianity and catholicism preach great values and morals that one should live their by. I just can’t get into it though. Anyone else on the same boat as me?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I find all the religions to be wrong as they don't seem to be evidentially true. They bring some people solace and some people terror. They cause some people to act better and some for the worse.

0|0
    0|0
  • I grew up Catholic as well. I went to a Catholic middle school, Lutheran high school, had to go to a Catholic bible study each Sunday after church in high school, was sent on retreats, was more or less pressured into get confirmed— the works. I understand where you’re coming from. Although my sister grew more into the faith, I became more distant. Maybe I’m just stubborn, I dunno, but I never had a “life changing” experience at a retreat or event that made things click for me. I grew pretty knowledgeable about it from an educational standpoint, but couldn’t quite get behind it all the way.

Personally speaking, I suppose I have a sort of a vague agnostic viewpoint right now. I can’t really wrap my mind around the creation of the universe for starters. Some point down the line, something comes from nothing. In my mind, it makes more sense that if we’re going for a limitless timeline that has gone on forever, a god of somesort was involved rather than the molecules just indefinitely being there. Then, if the universe is constantly expanding, I can’t wrap my head around limitless space. However, does a god that exists forever really make sense either?

Call it bias or an effect of the hardcore religious teachings growing up though, but I believe that, if there is a god and afterlife, the Christian God makes the most sense, or at least at the time. Now, Catholicism may not be the “true” way as compared to other denominations, but I can see some of the common Christianity views as having some merit, if one were to accept the idea of God. That’s the best answer I can come up with for now. As a sidenote, I’ve met a lot of “not so Christian” Christians along the way, but I suppose that’s not really the fault of teachings themselves if people don’t follow them.

If I fell onto the side of believing in religion/God, I’m more inclined to believe in an afterlife. The best evidence I can fathom for Christianity are the “miracles” found throughout the years. If God doesn’t exist, it would mean every miracle recorded would have to be explained through other means. I have a hard time believing that every witness was either a liar, lunatic, or falsely convinced.

Still, I have a hard time accepting everything. I agree with you— it’s a very comforting thing, and the values/morals are great too. I just can’t quite go fully on board with it though. Thus, I’m stuck in a sort of awkward “I have no f’in idea” and have left it at that for now.

Sidenote: Also dude, I’m sorry that you were diagnosed with cancer. I wish you the best.

TL;DR; I have no idea what the hell to believe in, but if I did believe in something I am more inclined to believe in Christian core teachings.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty much. I don’t buy into the book and social dictates of thousands of years ago (virginity, homosexuality, divorce etc etc) but I find having faith in something of my own comforting when times are hard particularly when losing people or thinking of my own demise.
    I think I have my own code of conduct that I try to live by, and when I fail or make mistakes I’m accountable to me but it kind of helps to project that repentance at something else, be that god or whatever I believe in

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't like religion at all. Basically brainwashing and is nothing but a comfort for people. I tried super hard to be Christan at one point but like you, I just can't find myself able to beilive in a magical man that shat out a planet and everything on it, yknow? Obviously I don't care if someone's religious, as long as they don't shove it down everyone's throats or anything, but when they do start to go overboard I get rude and tell them what I think.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s honestly great to have faith in something. When I feel scared or overwhelmed by certain things in my life... I feel relaxed and reassured that at least there’s someone/something that’s of a higher power than me and I know that this “someone” will/can help me

0|0
    0|0
  • Religion can be bad if misused and self seeking at ignoring logical things. However, Christianity is not a religion as atheists and others tend to get wrong. It is based on a relationship with God, who sent Jesus for our sins and the Holy Ghost to help mature us spiritually in discerning righteousness from sinfulness.

1|0
    0|1
    • 2d

It's a religion. It's following a god. That is a religion. Good day.

• 2d

You have a wusses concept of what Christianity is so you're ignorant. No wonder you assume it is a religion.

• I've grown up in a christian home and i can tell you that christian and Catholics are different. I've known quite a few people who grew up catholic but switched to christian as they found it more relatable/real. There is definitely a God out there

0|0
    0|0
  • After a while, you find that the devil has to exist and demons definitely roam the Earth. If the devil is out there, then so is God.

Good luck, friend. I offer my prayers that you may find salvation and, God willing, you’re cured of this disease.

0|0
    0|1
  • Then when the cancer is eating you away from the inside, and you die, you will cease to exist. Probably true.
    But probably more likely to survive if you have a religious conversion.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's all silly if you put a couple of brain cells together, but if it helps people be happy or act morally, then more power to them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m an agnostic atheist, I was actually born Jewish but my parents have always been mostly secular, I just never really cared for religion but I strongly believe in religious tolerance and equality

0|0
    0|0
    • 2d

I'm likewise Jewish, but really most people consider that you are either agnostic (uncertain about God), or atheist (disbelieving in God). So which one are you? Choose.

• I believe in reincarnation. I will see my descendants as persons that I have reincarnated into.

0|0
    0|0
  • My personal opinion is all religions are trash except the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ.

0|0
    1|2
  • it does more harm than good and I think Eastern religions are more enlightened than Abrahamic ones

0|0
    0|0
  • religion is a tool to controll masses.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think our universe is a simulation. Maybe some creatures similar to us simulated us and are watching our behavior. Eventually we will get to the point where we'll do the same. There is just no other explanation why the behavior of our universe can be described so accurately using mathematical algorithms in form of physics.
    I know that's not much of a comfort to you but that's what I think.

0|0
    0|0
  • most of it is real
    some of it I can't prove
    but I can prove most of it

Bible
    Quran
    Norse
    Greek
    Sumerian
    book of enoch
    book of jasher
    etc

are real with a few details that I would have to explain
    cause everyone at the end has picked their own god
    but its pretty much the same story

0|0
    0|0
  • I have become quite spiritual since I started therapy. You can probably figure out who I am.

Before therapy I though releigion in a black and white way in that god exists and that you go heaven or hell.

Now I see it, in the correct practice, to be to keep your mental health as high as possible. I still don’t believe in god, but I see the point of religion.

0|1
    0|0
  • I grew up muslim but i stopped being all religious and shit since i was 10. I stopped practicing all the religious things and i break all the rules in the religion but i believe in God and afterlife exists. So many people told me that i would rot in hell for this but i dont really care bout it.. as long as i do have good morals then i dont see any problems with it

0|0
    0|0
  • Muslims girls are the bomb

It’s a joke everybody

0|2
    0|2
    • 2d

“Muslim women need to be more open”

5 mins later...

“Aha, look at these fake Muslims posing for their ass”

Decide...

• 2d