Do you consider your beliefs to be a choice?

Allow me to explain exactly what I mean by this. I've discussed various topics with various people on this site/app, with religion probably being among the most common. I'm non-religious and my view is that you can't choose what you believe in. I can't make myself believe that the Earth is flat or that the sun is actually the egg of a dragon or that God exists.

Many people disagree with that idea and instead argue that you can choose what you believe in, and that if you wanted to believe in God, you would.

Do you think that you can choose to believe in something that you find to be entirely irrational and unsubstantiated? Do you view belief as simply being the outcome of our understanding of the world and therefore not a conscious choice at all?

#Cammysquestions #BakedHaggis #Religion
  • Belief is a choice: you can choose to believe in one idea over another, even if it goes against how you view the world/universe to function!
  • Belief is not a choice: You can't force yourself to believe something that goes against your understanding of the nature of the world/universe!
  • Other (Explain in Comments)
    Vote C

1726

Most Helpful Girl

• No, of course it's not.

And I think a big part of where this nonsense that belief is a choice comes from theists (Or other pseudo-science), who, as usual, aren't understanding what's being asked.
    I reckon that theists think belief is a choice, because believing something on faith requires a constant re-affirming of that doubtful belief, which means they have to put in effort to maintain it. They think that the 'choice' they are making is to continue to believe despite conflict with scientific knowledge or their own internal doubts.
    What they don't understand is that the trappings of their religion are not something they could simply choose to throw away at a moments notice.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nothing is a conscious choice.
    Choice is just an illusion, whatever the current combination of variables including, your current state of mind, experience and information availability is, is what determines the choices you are going to make.

So, yes.
    If a person currently needs a coping mechanism, they are going to believe.
    Likewise, if a person has been indoctrinated and adherence to certain beliefs represents a tool to combat their feelings of insecurity and personal inferiority, they are going to believe.
    And if someone possesses logic oriented reasoning and is not a victim of the aforementioned, they are not going to believe.