Is this friends with benefits scenario a good idea?

allison13
Last Saturday a close friend of mine told me that, for the past 2 years, he’s had feelings for me and only brought up the courage to tell me now. He said before that he wants to get his life together before getting into a serious relationship and he acknowledged that I don’t want to be in a relationship right now. In short, we don’t have any expectations. I just don’t know why he suddenly decided to tell me he has feelings for me. I am not attracted to this guy, but we’re really close and communicate online practically everyday. I see him as a friend and only a friend. I don’t know if these feelings will change but I doubt they will any time soon. However, I do know that a friends with benefits scenario would be fine with me. That’s pretty much all I want at the moment and I’ve thought about asking this same guy if he’s interested but I never asked because I didn’t know if he was attracted to me that way. Now that I know he might possibly be, I’m thinking of asking if he’d be OK with a friends with benefits situation - just sex, nothing more. The problem is he has feelings for me and wants to be more than friends while all I want is for us to be friends (with benefits). I know these things can get messy and I don’t think I want to lose our friendship if things don’t work out. But I’m pretty confident that we’ll be able to go back to normal in case the friends with benefits situation doesn’t work out. I’m not even sure if he’ll agree to it. He might just get insulted. How do you approach something like this? I don’t have any experience with this type of thing so I’d like to ask for your advice, opinions - any input, really.
Is this friends with benefits scenario a good idea?
Add Opinion