How Would You Handle the Topic of Sex With Your Children?

JRICHARDS1996
Just curious. It seems like Sex is the one topic that all parents and/or everyone who ever dreams of having children is terrified of and dreading to talk about. It could be either because of their own moral values, or their fear that they won't say the right thing, or simply because it is awkward by its very nature. But in the end every parent has to do it whether they like it or not, otherwise the results could be bad.

For me, personally, I would try to be VERY open about sex and sexuality with my children. Make no mistake, I still hold extremely rigid and traditional views about sex like it only being for marriage. But I'm not anti-sex by any means. I'm not against sex; just our society's extremely warped moral values regarding it.

So I would be open about sex with my children and try to talk to them about every aspect of it from masturbation to fetishes to oral and the straightforward mechanics like sperm, eggs, penises, and vaginas and the like. I'd probably even get them subscriptions to Cosmopolitan (if they're girls) and Maxim (if they're boys) simply so that they would learn information about sex and the mechanics of it (even if I completely disagree with the moral context).

I would however work hard to instill the proper values about sex into them, teaching them that while it is inherently good, it is only for married people. I'd urge them toward abstinence, and try to set them a healthy example of marriage through my own relationship with the wife. I'd teach them that the world's view of sex is completely warped (hence why the world is so screwed up), and that wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it and right right even if no one is doing it.

I'd hope that through being extremely open and emphasizing that sex itself is not wrong, they would be more willing to listen to me and take me seriously than if I just took the total authoritarian helicopter-parent approach.
7
6