What significant decision have you made that you most regret?

Hugh Grant, June 27, 1995, Los Angeles, California, being booked into jail for soliciting oral sex from a prostitute and receiving the benefit of his bargain while parked in his BMW
Hugh Grant, June 27, 1995, Los Angeles, California, being booked into jail for soliciting oral sex from a prostitute and receiving the benefit of his bargain while parked in his BMW
It is always easy to look back and realize that your life would have been better if certain questions had been decided differently. Hindsight is always 20/20 and we know that making mistakes is an inevitable part of the human experience but, on occasion, there are certain decisions that we look back and wonder "just what in the hell was I thinking?" You know, those decisions that were so clearly wrong that we can't justify our choice and we just feel embarrassed by what we did with our life at a pivotal point.

At age 16, I decided to leave high school early and begin college 350 miles from home. It was a horrible choice as I was running away from problems in high school and starting college early just made the problems worse. Unfortunately, there were no responsible adults who recognized what I was doing, no one who tried to intercede and save me from myself. That was 47 years ago and i still regret my choice.

What is the worst decision that you ever made for yourself, the decision that is embarrassing and for which you can offer no plausible justification?

2|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Letting my parents choose my highschool. I really wanted to go to a highschool which was small and very artsy and all my friends were going there. My parents thought it wasn't good and it was a better idea if I went to the same highschool as my older sister. 12 year old me was wayy too obedient and just did what my parents said. The highschool was huge and unpersonal. My sister didn't want to be seen with me and I got bullied a lot and no one to go to since I didn't know anybody there. However maybe I also got bullied if I did go to that other school. You never know.

Other than that, I regret not applying for med school in the first place. It's really hard getting into med school here and I didn't have super high grades and a low self-esteem and so I studied neuroscience since it didn't have a selection and I did think it sounded super interesting. However, 2 years in neuroscience now I do like it, but I might still want to become a doctor and want to apply for med school, which will take at least 6 years of studying. Not the end of the world, but not ideal either.

1|3
    0|0
  • Love this quote I heard from a tv show. When you make a mistake, you got two choices: you live with it or you fix it.

I got but one regret in my life and that is changing my career choice. I hate my career now but I feel like it’s too late to change it and all the money wasted. After having a deep talk with my friend, I decided that I will pursue the other career that I want even though it will be another three years. I’m trying to fix this regret. This mistake.

0|2
    0|0
    • It is never too late to start enjoying your life.

Freud said that mental health is the ability to love and the ability to work. Happiness with your work is essential to happiness in your life!

• Beautiful words

Most Helpful Guys

• Not going into wrestling and multiple sports in high school. If I had know what I wanted to do now, back then, I would’ve joined wrestling and other sports, and most likely have gotten a scholarship from wrestling, since I’ve always had a natural talent and body for it I feel like. I was immature and didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. My grades weren’t even good, bad actually. I would’ve easily told my 9th grade self to do well in school and definitely do a sport. I’m doing very well now, but still. It would’ve been nice to be this mature at that age, I would accomplished even more and be at a higher starting point than where I am now.

0|1
    0|0
    • But really are we being fair to ourselves thinking we should have known then- what we know now? Such is life- you shouldn’t judge yourself using hindsight- it’s not realistic...>

• Yeah you’re right.

• Not sticking in at school when I was younger, this sounds like it was an indecision but it's technically a conscious decision to slack off and not pay attention. (doing it now tho, better late than never).
    Not picking up a trade apprenticeship when I left school as at the time I thought it was a waste as I would spend the 3 or 4 years learning skills to then not want to work in the trade I had learned (I was probably right but it's always good to have something to fall back on, and trades tend to pay well so)

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 27

• Trusting stupid boys in my college. If I did something differently back there but I’d didn’t. Trust the wrong type. I learn from my mistakes and never date a guy from my college again. I regret to many relationships that I shouldn’t had. Since the boys were unstable or doesn’t know how treat a woman. Now that I move on t o better life. Now the guys in college always staring at me. Always trying to help me but I don’t want any help.

0|2
    0|0
  • I lost my virginity at 15. Problem was. I was 15 and he was waaaayyyyyy older.

1|1
    0|0
    • Every time I read something from you, it makes you look dirtier 😏

• @xTom98 It is always easier to criticize someone else's life than it is to examine your own life.

• for me its an attractive trait 😄 wasn't meant as critique 🙄

• Saying i do at the alter, when 2 people said dont marry him... i should off listen.

0|1
    0|0
    • I KNOW the feeling!

• Show All
    • The idiot who you selected! :) That is a bitter pill to swallow, isn't it? Been there. . . done that!

• My ex is a real jam, he stocks me, follows me takes pictures of me, and the list keeps on going... agh!! Its funny at times.

• I regret as a child not knowing better, I allowed to push my education by side and focused on family problems. Now everything I missed out learning in step by step, school, makes it so much harder in adult school or college. I got to the point to give up.

0|1
    0|0
  • I suppose either the wrong job choice or the failure to succeed in suicide.

I’ve had a lot of shit happen to me that wasn’t my fault. And no, I’m not exaggerating or denying responsibility. If I chose a different job I might have a totally different lifestyle. If I had succeeded in dying I wouldn’t have suffered as much as I have and be as broken as I am.

0|1
    0|0
  • Having a crush on a older guy when I was 12 and he was 20 and he lived in front of my house with his parents but sometimes he wouldn't be there and stuff and I became deppresed cause I knew he was with his girlfriend and I regret that now I regret wasting my time falling for someone that I knew would never love me

0|1
    0|0
  • I went out with an older guy when I was 18. Was a gigantic colossal mfer of a mistake that seemed harmless.

0|1
    0|0
  • Trying 2 commit suicide last year over something cruel and men someone said 2 me. It basically fucked up most if my life

0|1
    0|0
  • Letting myself get played because i should have known. But it taught me a lesson.

0|1
    0|0
  • none, but i can think of a lot that people say i'll regret...

0|2
    0|0
  • I most regret the major that I chose in college. The reason is because, although under unfortunate circumstances, I had all of my school loans paid off and so I am debt-free but with a degree that has been useless to me. If I could go back in time, I would definitely choose a different path and also not be involved in a relationship that distracted me a lot. I'm sure I would have succeeded in so much more. I'm trying to go back to school for something more practical, but it's still not my dream. I'm paying out of pocket for the time being, but I always think I could have already done this a long time ago. Life really doesn't turn out how you plan. Cue song "The Kids Aren't Alright," by The Offspring.

0|1
    0|0
  • Getting a degree I'll never use. Dating time wasters.

0|2
    0|0
  • I took part in a competition once. Two winners from each country went to China to compete against one another and I got the chance of representing my country in China that year. I was under-aged for the competition and in China I had to face much older and stronger participants there.

As Asians it was even more tough for us because we had to face EAST Asians many of them were already of Chinese origin and could speak Chinese much better than us. So even if we did well (we actually did really well) those East Asians did better than us.

I feel like, if I participated one or two years later I would be more skilled and stronger and scored better. Once you participate and win in your own country and then participate in China then you can't take part one more time so it's literally over for be. Regret of my life.

0|1
    0|0
  • I choose to be an nursery nurse. It was the wrong choice

0|1
    0|0
  • None really

0|1
    0|0
    • If you have no regrets, it means you are only now starting to live your life. It will happen. Accept it as an inevitable part of becoming experienced and wiser.

• I know, i’m only 15 i’ve made little to no major life decisions

• God Guided me Home from Egypt. xx

0|1
    0|0
  • Marriage

1|3
    0|0
  • Probably going to college.

0|2
    0|0
  • Not taking a car mechanics class in high school x;

0|2
    0|0
  • Moving to Elk Grove for my jerk of an ex

0|2
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 22

• As they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I don't think I've done too many things which I didn't then manage to row back from. The worst consequences for me, so far, have been wasted time etc.

I have seen many other people start to take the wrong decisions as early as 14, though, and that's set them off on the wrong path for life.

0|1
    0|0
  • I ran for office, became president, but I was cursed and aged backwards and nobody even remembers me and in six years I'll be 15 and very, very sad. How very, very sad.

0|2
    0|0
  • Getting married. I wish I had walked away when I had the chance. Unfortunately, I was stupid and miserable for 18 years of my life because of it. The only good thing that came out of it was my kids.

1|5
    0|0
  • Getting married , my ex is a pain ( she is bitter because I dumped her lazy arse !! ) , but do not regret my current situation as a FT working single dad , being an ex British Army Para has helped me with the fortitude to deal with tough times , I have a tween and a teen... hard work at times !!

0|1
    0|0
  • I never look at the past darling it prevents me from seeing the future

1|1
    0|0
  • It's hard for me to say I regret anything much as it got me where I am now.
    However, I moved half way across the country for a job and stayed 5 years. After all that happened, I wonder why I bothered.

0|1
    0|0
  • Falling in love with someone who was already in a relationship 😂😂

0|1
    0|0
  • Trusting the wrong people.

Do you know who they are?

Do you know who "you can always trust"?

My creators.

0|2
    0|0
  • Not really anything. If I had to go back, i wouldn't have had sex in college, just waited it out. Oh well, it's not as if anything really bad happened, but it could have.

0|1
    0|0
  • Being in the wrong crowd in high school, e. g., being friends with the wrong people.

0|1
    0|0
  • There have been so many bad decisions that it is difficult to pick just one. 🤔

0|1
    0|0
  • Doing jobs and jobs without following my passion

0|1
    0|0
    • If you want to be successful, find a job doing something about which you feel passionate.

• Going to college and not completing my enlistment

0|2
    0|0
  • Alcohol over drivers license lol

0|1
    0|0
  • You made a mistake.. Sounds pretty amazing.. 😐

0|1
    0|0
  • Not getting an education while I was young

0|1
    0|0