What significant decision have you made that you most regret?

Hugh Grant, June 27, 1995, Los Angeles, California, being booked into jail for soliciting oral sex from a prostitute and receiving the benefit of his bargain while parked in his BMW
It is always easy to look back and realize that your life would have been better if certain questions had been decided differently. Hindsight is always 20/20 and we know that making mistakes is an inevitable part of the human experience but, on occasion, there are certain decisions that we look back and wonder "just what in the hell was I thinking?" You know, those decisions that were so clearly wrong that we can't justify our choice and we just feel embarrassed by what we did with our life at a pivotal point.

At age 16, I decided to leave high school early and begin college 350 miles from home. It was a horrible choice as I was running away from problems in high school and starting college early just made the problems worse. Unfortunately, there were no responsible adults who recognized what I was doing, no one who tried to intercede and save me from myself. That was 47 years ago and i still regret my choice.

What is the worst decision that you ever made for yourself, the decision that is embarrassing and for which you can offer no plausible justification?

2924

Most Helpful Girls

• Letting my parents choose my highschool. I really wanted to go to a highschool which was small and very artsy and all my friends were going there. My parents thought it wasn't good and it was a better idea if I went to the same highschool as my older sister. 12 year old me was wayy too obedient and just did what my parents said. The highschool was huge and unpersonal. My sister didn't want to be seen with me and I got bullied a lot and no one to go to since I didn't know anybody there. However maybe I also got bullied if I did go to that other school. You never know.

Other than that, I regret not applying for med school in the first place. It's really hard getting into med school here and I didn't have super high grades and a low self-esteem and so I studied neuroscience since it didn't have a selection and I did think it sounded super interesting. However, 2 years in neuroscience now I do like it, but I might still want to become a doctor and want to apply for med school, which will take at least 6 years of studying. Not the end of the world, but not ideal either.

• Love this quote I heard from a tv show. When you make a mistake, you got two choices: you live with it or you fix it.

I got but one regret in my life and that is changing my career choice. I hate my career now but I feel like it’s too late to change it and all the money wasted. After having a deep talk with my friend, I decided that I will pursue the other career that I want even though it will be another three years. I’m trying to fix this regret. This mistake.

• It is never too late to start enjoying your life.

Freud said that mental health is the ability to love and the ability to work. Happiness with your work is essential to happiness in your life!

• Beautiful words

Most Helpful Guys

• Not going into wrestling and multiple sports in high school. If I had know what I wanted to do now, back then, I would’ve joined wrestling and other sports, and most likely have gotten a scholarship from wrestling, since I’ve always had a natural talent and body for it I feel like. I was immature and didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. My grades weren’t even good, bad actually. I would’ve easily told my 9th grade self to do well in school and definitely do a sport. I’m doing very well now, but still. It would’ve been nice to be this mature at that age, I would accomplished even more and be at a higher starting point than where I am now.

• But really are we being fair to ourselves thinking we should have known then- what we know now? Such is life- you shouldn’t judge yourself using hindsight- it’s not realistic...>

• Yeah you’re right.

• Not sticking in at school when I was younger, this sounds like it was an indecision but it's technically a conscious decision to slack off and not pay attention. (doing it now tho, better late than never).
    Not picking up a trade apprenticeship when I left school as at the time I thought it was a waste as I would spend the 3 or 4 years learning skills to then not want to work in the trade I had learned (I was probably right but it's always good to have something to fall back on, and trades tend to pay well so)