Should I avoid going out with a friend's ex FWB?

Long story short: a guy who slept a couple of times with a really close friend of mine has been approaching/texting me for a while now. His intentions are pretty clear, I can't deny that I am attracted to him as well and I would like to go out with him. There's a good feeling between us and we get along really well.

I care about the relationship with my friend more than I do about this guy but on the other side I hate that I should deny myself something that I would appreciate just because my friend had sex twice with him months ago. I told him about this issue and he said that I shouldn't worry about it because it's not my problem, but I know my friend would hate me. He said he understands and that she doesn't have to find out - he's a really private guy and he keeps things to himself, but I still don't know.

What would you do?

38

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok.. well, I gotta ask, is this girl actually your friend or is she just someone that you hang out with for convenience cuz if she was your friend you would at least give her the benefit of the doubt and tell her what you were doing. Don't be sneaking around your friends. Tell her straight up and deal with it that way.

• 4d

I already informed her a while ago about his behavior (texting, approaching me) and she said she didn't care, but once I told her that I respect her and that I wasn't gonna do anything if she actually cared she admitted that it would bother her a little.

• 4d

Ok, well then you should sit down and decide if its reasonable for her to be upset. Also, recognizing that while it may sting her a little bit, that doesn't mean she has the right to stop you. But you told her that you "respect" her, you kind of made a promise to her. You really need to respect her by telling her what you intend to do, or just let it go.

Put yourself in her shoes in this, would you want her sneaking around behind your back? Wouldn't you prefer to have her be up front with you? Put a little faith in your friendship. It may be a difficult discussion, but maybe its a discussion worth having. And if its not worth having that discussion, then maybe this guy isn't as important as you think he is.

• 4d

Thank you. I'll be thinking about it.