How long does it take for the pill to be effective?

Anonymous
I am about to start the pill (combination pill) on Tuesday and I have gotten two different answers as to how long it will take to be effective. My physician said to wait a whole month before becoming sexually active, but the birth control specialist I saw and any other medical source I have found say it will take 7 days to be effective (the specialist suggested 10 days to be extra safe). I am planning on using a condom despite being on the pill. Will I be protected after the seven days? I would really like to start having sex as soon as possible, but I want to be safe!
+1 y
Thank you all for the replies!! You have all been very helpful! I will probably contact my doctor tomorrow to see what his opinion would be on me having sex after the seven days with a condom. I’m a virgin and I’m really looking forward to getting into it with my boyfriend, I’ve waited 19 years so I’m sure I could wait another month but I’d prefer to do it as soon as possible haha :)
5
1