What are you're thoughts of the male gaze in art?

Anonymous
Hi, I am a male artist who used to only do portraits. Sometime last year, I wanted to improve as an artist, and following advice from some accomplished artists, I started to attend life drawing classes. I posted drawings of a nude female model oj Instagram, and had a good response from people, and grew in followers, mostly female.
I started getting requests from people to draw them nude. Again mostly females who have never modelled before, but wanted to feel empowered. I insisted I would only do tasteful artistic nudes, as I had family and friends following my profile.
Over time I have done quite a lot of nudes, male and female, but not many male, as it's mostly females that seem interested. Models have been a variety of sizes. Some, recently overcoming anorexia, some average, and some overweight.
I have had plenty of positive feedback from models who claim they feel empowered, and can accept their body, flaws and all.
I recently got a message from a "critic" who claims my art is tending to the male gaze. Yes there are drawings done by a heterosexual male, of nude females, but done by request, where the model chooses the pose, and has an idea of what they want out of it.
Does the male gaze still apply in this case in your opinion? Should only female artists draw nude female bodies?
I'm not offended or put off by the comments by the so called critic, but curious as it's a point of view I have never considered
1
1