Why do people take birth controls if they’re bad for you?

I mean I heard birth control is really bad for you because it could cause you to break out, depression, weight gain... etc. So my question is why would people take it when it could do all of those things to you? Have you personally experienced anything bad with it? Like at first I was thinking about getting it and the doctor recommmeded alyees bc but when I read reviews people had those symptoms I listed above so I decided not to buy it. I’m sure there’s other methods to prevent pregnancy

5d
For people saying it’s cause people don’t want babies well there’s also condoms! They are 99% effective when used right and if for some reason you didn’t use it right there’s plan b (morning after pill) or worst comes to worst there’s always abortion as an option. For me I never want a kid but I won’t take bc because of the reasons I listed but I always use a condom. Plus with bc you have to take it all the time on time which I know I’ll prob forget to and then it becomes useless

339

What Guys Said 9

• They can help to take away the really bad pains and other stuff with a period that is particularly debilitating. I've known some women that took it just to get rid of the horrible cramps.

• 7d

Morton is great for that! 2 of that (super strength) and you’re good!

• Pretty much every drug can have side effects, doesn't mean you get them.
    Most people don't suffer any issues and many even take birth control to combat ailments they already have.

• Brainwashed from doctors and believers of the BS

• To prevent pregnancy it's effective and better than just condoms alone

• My wife never had that from birth control.

• So they dont get pregnant

• Babies are worse

• Because people think birthing a child is worse somehow.

• 5d

It is but you could use condoms instead and stuff like that also if anything were to happen there’s always abortion as an option

• 5d

asker ur a killer ;-; u KNOW the doctor pull that baby LIMB FROM LIMB

• Why do people smoke and drink and cross the road when the walk sign is not displayed. People are risk takers, They thrive on adrenaline and somtimes coffee. It is a crazy world we live in and when that dog barks you gotta walk it.

What Girls Said 33

• Not everyone gets it but there are a lot of side effects. I know a lot of women who get them. But most if not all women rather risk getting acne and weight gain than an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy. The pill is only 1% better at prevention than the condom, but most prefer it bc they have a lower risk of not wearing a condom while on the pill compared to wearing on a condom while not on the pill; condoms can break and it's hard to screw up taking a pill unless you forget to take them or cause a bad metabolic reaction. Plus not wearing a condom feels better. What most people don't do is their research. Some think it prevents cancer so its good to take but it actually doesn't; there's not a significant difference against breast cancer and it INCREASES your chances of getting ovarian cancer. Also, they're known to cause miscarriages, which many of my friends and family have been affected by, and other health complications, which most people don't think to connect with their illnesses. As someone in the medical field, I won't take BC. But if other women want to take it then that's them. Everyone has their own opinion on BC

• 4d

Actually, condoms are only about 85% effective in real use. Hormonal contraceptives are much more effective.

• 3d

Both use the stats I've stated and even Guttamacher said with the pro and cons to choose what works best individually. Like I said, the difference between their effectiveness isn't drastic and you can assume it's 98% and 99% effective if you use it properly. The typical use stats are account for mistakes, which don't apply to everyone if they don't make them. If you yourself always use either protection properly, you can assume it works to the best stat, which are no different. If you're not doing it properly already, you need to start. Either way, using both condom and pill together is the best. But people decide what they want. Lifestyle and health play a role. Some find it easier to use condoms bc it's hard to forget vs a pill you can easily forget and be behind on dosage wise. That's why I said it depends on the person on what they decide; Guttamacher agrees and PP also talks about it. To each their own.

• 3d

You're misunderstanding me. My point is, for real-lfe use, condoms are only 85% effective - and that's really good, but not as good as hormonal methods, which tend to be significantly better in real-life use.

I'm not saying don't use condoms. I'm not saying you must use a hormonal method.

I'm saying: 85%, according to Planned Parenthood, is a more accurate statistic when speaking about condoms as birth control. That's all.

They are not almost as effective as hormonal methods, they are significantly less effective. That's just the reality of it. They are great, often free or cheap, readily available, prevent disease - yay condoms. But exaggerating their effectiveness is not needed.

• Women in general put up with the symptoms because that's way better than getting unexpectedly pregnant. The last thing you ever want to do is to get unexpectedly pregnant. Personally I do not put up with such symptoms. I'm not on birth control. Instead I enjoy oral sex and lots of it without the slightest worry of getting pregnant. Oral sex is the best sex! You can't get pregnant from enjoying sucking cock and swallowing cum. I say screw sexual intercourse, do lots of great oral sex instead! :)

• There are a number of different birth control pills. Each pill affects each person differently, but most people can find one that agrees with them.

• 7d

What would you say is a good one?

• 7d

Well I use Ortho Tri-Cyclen, but I'm sure your doctor knows more than me on the topic :)

• I’ve had some side effects but they’ve been nothing compared to the effects a pregnancy could have on my body.

• Um birth control isn’t inherently bad but the effects suck. Women want careers and a life, so we would rather not have children? It’s that simple.
    Birth control actually sucks A LOT but men’s birth control isn’t happening anytime soon. As usual, it’s up to women to bear all the actual responsibility of sexual activity

• 6d

How about condoms and the guy also not cumming while using the condom?

• 6d

It’s much more effective to use both. Like A LOT more effective.

• I actually got birth control because of my uneven weight, break outs, and my irregular periods. Honestly when I first started birth control I was nervous but I love it so much! I haven’t experienced anything bad! Luckily if you do experience anything bad they have different brands for you to try so you can find the one that works for you that have different levels of hormones. You can always try it and if you experience anything bad your doctor can switch the prescription. But ya I love mine!

• I use copper, non hormonal. The hormones mess with your head it's like being in a fog and paranoid all the time. The downside is it increases pain and blood flow but I need my brain functioning I can deal with the pain.

• First of all, all that, false. It clears acne, believe me, I've used it mainly for my acne and my face is so clear. Depression? No wtf? Never been a side effect. And weight gain? A little because you're adding hormones to your body. Those symptoms are NOT caused by being on birth control, except the gaining weight but it's not like you're gaining 20 pounds a week.

• 5d

You're so dumb I'm sorry but you are. You can also get birth control implant things, like the one that goes in your arm. And condoms are only 97% effective when used right

• 5d

But hey if that’s what you and other people wanna take that’s totally cool! Let’s after to disagree lol

• 5d

First of all I have DD too. I've been trying to lose weight and honey, you can't lose weight in your boobs or thigh area. And second of all, Believe me, I've been trying for two years.

• Breaking out and gaining weight is hardly the worst thing in the world. For some it's the easiest and preferred method of bc (besides condoms but using both is more effective)

• 7d

I'm assuming your talking about birth control pills right?

• 5d

I know! But it’s just that some people on here are saying bc is the only way you won’t get preg lol

• 5d

Okay well yea thats wrong there are many diffrent forms of birth control.

• To prevent pregnancy

• Drs say they shouldn't cause weight gain but as for everything else those are the bad reactions to it. At that point people either switch them or stop all together, mine aren't bad

• All methods of avoiding pregnancy are "birth control", but I'll assume you mean birth control pills.
    People use them because they are convenient: They protect you during the entire month, you can have sex without condoms, periods become regular and less painful... and so on.

And not every woman that takes the pill have those symptoms. I never had such symptoms.

• I heard they make your period regular. Like a specific day. For example if you got it on the third Wednesday of last month then you would get it the third Wednesday of next month. I don’t take it personally cause I’m still underage, but Ik you can take it at 12+

• 4d

If you are in the US, you are not underage for receiving birth control. The period regulation is not quite as perfect as you think, but yes, it does make periods regular and typically a lot lighter, less pain, and PMS tends to be less.

• Do you take medication when your sick knowing that there's side effect? I mean you wanna feel better right? Or do you not wanna risk having to shit all day? This is honestly a dumb question in my opinion. Birth control does have side effects yes BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN IT'LL HAPPEN TO EVERYONE. Birth control helps with other things then just preventing pregnancy. Talk to your doctor get a second opinion if you need to but everything has consequences good and bad like come on

• i was on birth control to help regulate my periods

• My aunt who is a nurse says that the symptoms on there are a warning of what could possibly happen... it is rare for people to get them.. =but they warn you just to be safe on their side incase you do, but again it is very unlikely that you will get the really risky ones. The break out, depression and weight gain will probably happen with any form of birth control because of the hormones that are released, and hormones play a role in those 3 symptoms

• I ended up having a Mirena iud fitted, but that was causing problems also. In the end I was diagnosed with a bleeding/clotting disorder called Von Willebrand disorder and had the Mirena removed. I had to go into other meds which was a combination of HALF tab of "the pill" and also a hormone tan to stop me bleefing entirely.

• We don't want babies lol.

• 7d

They also help women who have very painful menstrual cycles.

Personally I just don't want a kid.

• 6d

@Wonderer89 what’s that?

• 6d

Tubal ligation

• I am using birth control for 4 years now because it's safe and quite simple. I am aware of the side effects but there is no good alternative for me right now. I do realize it's making me more emotional and sensitive in general, but it differs from person to person depending on the pill you are taking. So thete is never a real way of telling how your body will react to birth control.

• Because its preferred to having a baby.

Personally I've had positive experiences with my pill, and its helped with back pain and breast swelling.

• 5d

@ update: are you suggesting thar abortion is a form of comtraception? Because that is pretty horrendous.

• 4d

No no that’s not what I’m suggesting! I’m saying if you used whatever bc form you did and it for some reason failed and you don’t want a kid you could do that if YOU WANT

• 3d

Yes well I'd rather use the pill, which is more effective than any other contraceptive, so that i never have to have an abortion.

• Because I have PCOS and endometriosis and all the side effects are still better than bleeding to death vaginally. Literally. The month before I started BC again I was hospitalized and had two blood transfusions after bleeding for 62 days. 🖒

• Because they don't want a baby?

• 6d

I never want a kid either lol but how about condoms and also the guy not cumingv

• 6d

That sounds like shitty sex.

• we take it for our period and to prevent pregnancy

• 5d

lady its just in case if the condoms are expired or has a hole in it or what ever be smart

• I take it because I don’t want kids at the moment, and condoms have the risk of breaking during intercourse.

The birth control I’m on is 99.1 % affective so I don’t worry about getting pregnant

• I have taken about 5 different products over the years with various side effects, from increasing my blood pressure to mad mood swings. 3 diffetent pills, implant and now a mirena coil. I settled on the coil as it reduced my bleeding and the hormone stays more local and does not roam around the body and I have less side effect ( so they say). I take contraception to avoid pregnancies and taking the morning after pill. There aren't many non hormone ways of avoiding pregnancy. I know two married couples who fear contraception for very valid reasons such as a history of cancer in the family and they use condoms. I'm not sure I could use condoms throughout a trusting and stable relationship.

• Because not everyone experiences those symptoms. I'm on the pill and have experienced zero of those symptoms.

• Because they don't apply to everyone & I'd rather gain a couple pounds than have a baby?

• I never experienced anything bad.

• Birth control pills aren't just for "birth control". I was put on it a few years ago because of my severe menstrual cramps.
    Before I was on it I would take up to 6 extra strength Advil's at a time, numerous times a day, to try and keep my cramps at bay. I tried numerous pills that were supposed to help with severe cramps as well and they were never enough for me.
    So for me birth control was the healthier option as I only got my period once every 2 months then, and I was able to lessen the amount of pain meds I took.
    I just recently got off of them though because I've found something else that has helped lessen the severity of my cramps.

Only symptoms I really got on BC was that for the first little while on it I felt very nauseous. And then almost every time after my week break (to get my period) as soon as I'd start up on them again I'd feel nauseous the next day. Don't really remember any others for me personally
    It's about the pros and cons though. If the pros outweigh the cons, then why wouldn't someone go on it?

And for people who take it to prevent pregnancies, they probably find it worthwhile to know they're taking that extra step to avoid getting pregnant. Sometimes condoms aren't enough and they break. Birth control is like extra backup

• That's the easiest way

• More from Girls
    3