Is he gay and just a close friend or does he have a crush on me?

Anonymous
I've been friends with this guy who is in almost all of my classes for the past two years. Because we're together all day we have become really close. Ever since he came to my school in seventh grade (we're in tenth grade now) everyone has kind of assumed he was gay. He is pretty much only friends with girls, he cares about his hair, he loves some Broadway, is obsessed with Lady Gaga, and has a voice that sounds stereotypically gay. Our other friend and I can't picture him being interested in anyone (boy or girl) but my friend Maxx (who is gay and out) thinks he is gay (but he doesn't know him very well).

Recently he has been acting kind of weird around me. The night before our big AP chemistry final we were IMing each other with questions and ranting about how stressed we were and he said that he was horny (which made the conversation really awkward). Then he realized he had made it awkward and told me not to tell anyone about it and was freaking out. This alone makes no sense (what reasoning would make that make any sense?). Then it was winter break and we were both really busy and we didn't talk much.

After winter break we both went on this optional school camping trip that lasted 8 days. We hung out the whole time. Sometimes he'd grab me around the waist and pull me closer (and then let go). He was generally really nice and caring (when it was cold he would make sure I was okay, etc). We also had a fake fighting (as in pretending to punch or kick) thing going on (I don't know how it started but there was a reason) that eventually seemed pretty flirty. Also one day he was carying around his big ski gloves and I said something about not slapping me with them (he had been swinging them around) and after I said something else (I forgot what) he slapped me on the butt with one (as a joke). On the last hike he kept touching my lower back when we were walking or climbing up or down things and once he accidentally (or not) touched my back so low that part of his hand was on my butt.

So now I'm curious, is he gay and just being a good friend (we are together almost ALL the time and so we are really close) or is he straight and realizing he has a crush on me. I can't ask if he's gay or anything because that would be rude (he isn't out or anything and if he isn't that would be really awkward) but I really want to know. I know that not knowing him in RL it would be hard for you guys to tell, but asking is worth a shot.
1
1