How to act happy for other people?

I know many people will say I shouldn't fake my happiness for others, but I really really need to and here's why. Everywhere I go (school, work, store, etc) people are telling me to smile and making comments about how depressed I look. These are people I don't know and have never seen before. I have major issues with depression and lately it's been getting worse. Even when I think I'm hiding it, I'm not.

To put things simply, I have no friends, no family that I'm close with, was verbally abused by family, was bullied in school growing up, I have body image issues, I have social anxiety, I have low self esteem, and I do nothing enjoyable in life. All I do is go to work, school, study, and sleep. Recently, people at work have been talking behind my back and say that I'm always in a bad mood and that I have an attitude. I am nice and polite to people at work, but I can't hide an emotion that is this strong. The attitude comes from me knowing they are talking about me behind my back and I've been subtly confronting them about it. I heard this from other people and overheard them talking about me when they thought I left the room. I'm tired of people hurting me and want to avoid talking to people altogether even though I can't. I'm very lonely and nobody wants to be around a depressed person.

I feel bad because I don't want to be a downer. Everybody at work is talking about me when they don't know the truth. They think I'm just having an attitude or that I'm attention seeking. They don't understand that I'm not trying to be mean. It's more serious than that. They don't know that I go home and cry myself to sleep every night. I hold back tears at work. I think of suicide. I'm not going to explain this to them because 1. I don't want sympathy or more people talking behind my back 2. This isn't for attention 3. I don't want them to think I'm some freak and start avoiding me 4. I don't want people knowing my private business because I'm a very private person
How to act happy for other people?
1
2