How to get rid of bigoted instinct?

Okay, so I try to be as open as I can be. However, I find myself occasionally slipping into the trap of becoming judgmental of others. This happens, I think, because I am not around different people all that often (I live in a predominantly middle-upperclass, white, Christian city of only a couple hundred thousand) I notice that when I haven't seen a particular social group in sometime I occasionally can become bigoted towards that social group (for example, there was a black man who was reading in the library that I caught eyes with) I rarely ever see black people so often when I see them I get an uneasy feeling that for some reason right afterwards I feel disgusted at them and then a twinge of anger. I always smile and act polite but deep down I have this almost instinctive bigoted reaction when I haven't seen a person of a particular social group in a while. Then see them. How do you overcome this feeling, short of immersion, since there really are hardly any black, for example, people in my city?
+1 y
This whole process happens over just a couple of seconds and I am able to respect them after for the most part after
I get over this initial reaction (with some social groups, not blacks I don't think, but with mystics and wiccans for example) i
+1 y
Might find a really hard time respecting them and treating their beliefs fairly and open-mindedly. For me I have to take a conscious effort and have had a few times where I have felt really uncomfortable and then felt like I had to hold myself back
How to get rid of bigoted instinct?
0
1